Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Why All The Third Reich Fakes? Is There a Story Here?

Article about: In the very short time I have been on this forum I have learned a lot. There are seamingly more fakes -- and some good quality fakes at that -- than there are real pieces from the Third Reic

?

Default Re: Why All The Third Reich Fakes? Is There a Story Here?

Thanks Bob, seems I did get it wrong. FB puts what I kind of meant to say perfectly.

Cheers, Pat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why All The Third Reich Fakes?  Is There a Story Here?
    P
    Many

The US company patch king were as far as I am aware making copy insignia before 1945, which included German and allied items.

As others have posted, fake items can be produced relatively cheaply, same as the originals were, but can command prices out of proportion to the cost of producing them. Badges, either cloth or metal can be manufactured for a minimal cost, but rarer or desirable items such SS insignia can be sold to the unwary for 100's if not 1000's.

Caveat Emptor
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Sir Payne, I did not say "limit yourself." My point is if you don't want to sweat it out when purchasing a Third Reich item go with something that is not reproduced. Once you have some experience collecting then move on to other items. NH

Everything can be reproduced........
    Morris

There is real stuff out there, I collect on a smaller budget these days- and I still can find real helmets and other items that I can afford.
    But take a Fallschirmjäger repro bought off of ebay - there is a repro right now going for $99.95, there is another just above it for $6,200.00 OBO.

Some time & skills in the garage or basement, and you can sell it to a unsuspecting person as a legit lid- from $1,200.00 to well, $6,000.00...... I guess I can see why people would do it- because people are willing to spend it on fake things.

Someone mentioned here that real pieces seem not to sell & the utter fantasy pieces can't be bid on enough.
    True words

Well, some III Reich copy awards are sold as copies and not for the bad price. For example Ritterkreuz for $200-250. Original is $10 000 or so. So if You are a skilled silversmith there is a point - 1 Ritterkreuz is $200 but 100 is already $20 000... And if You have good machinery and artisans price for a top quality copy is around $30-40. And I'm talking only about the fakes that are sold as copies.

A collector I know sold what he honestly believed to be a vary rare German AP artillery projectile to a fellow collector in a different country. He a purchased it from a well known collector of such things as authentic. My friend was and is VERY well versed in such items and he was convinced of the item's authenticity. When the piece arrived at its destination the new owner found that the AP round's windscreen had come loose during shipping... and had been attached with epoxy. FAKE! But brilliantly done. Perfect machining. Thing weighed 80+ pounds. He refunded the cost + shipping.

Robert, quick story in 1960 I as a young boy ordered Mail order all we had back then two stick pins DAF and Party eagle. Many years later with reference material found out Party eagle was reproduced in mid 50's so this has been going on for years, there are still many "no brainer" third reich items available if you find them as they are not probably reproduced. As experienced Forum collectors say be careful and suspicious of most items field gear comes to mind but there are many countries with Look alike items so know your source and reference on purchasing them as even that is repo for renactors. Good luck timothy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3