Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW 2 German Lighter?

Article about: Goodday, A few years ago my grandfather gave me some lighters, he said it were lighters from the 2th World War. I have been interested in WW2 since I was little. But I have never knew what t

Default WW 2 German Lighter?

Goodday,

A few years ago my grandfather gave me some lighters, he said it were lighters from the 2th World War. I have been interested in WW2 since I was little. But I have never knew what these lighters execlty were and where they really come from and from what year. I have searched for it on the internet but the only thing I could find was a resemblance to a German WW2 Lighter. So I guess mine are German too.

I would really love to know the history of these lighters. I hope there is someone who has the knowledge about them. I have included some pictures.

Best Regards,
    Dennis van der Veen (The Netherlands)

Photo's :

ImageShack Album - 6 images

Feel free to ask me for additional information
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW 2 German Lighter?   WW 2 German Lighter?  

WW 2 German Lighter?   WW 2 German Lighter?  

Attached Images Attached Images WW 2 German Lighter?  WW 2 German Lighter? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW 2 German Lighter?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW 2 German Lighter?

Very similar to a WWII Luftwaffe lighter I own, probably bought in the canteen, though not identical and I would assume that many nations manufactured similar lighters.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW 2 German Lighter?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you for your reply Jerry B, it looks similar indeed.

What do you mean with 'probably bought in the canteen?'

Soldiers could buy items in a shop usually in the mess or the NAFI or similar, I'm not sure what the German term for it is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

So it is a commun ww2 lighter? It must be, since I have got five of them. Wish they were rare tho haha!
    Thank you for the information so far!
    Last edited by linited; 12-20-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Yes, they are, indeed, the common German military type of lighter from WWII. Many you see are tarted up with silly nonsense engravings and such to bring a better sale price, but if you were in the German military in WWII and went down to the canteen to get yourself a cigarette lighter to carry with you in the field....This is what they would have handed you. As far as value, as said, they are quite common and often seen, but are nice, still usable and are still in demand by collectors. I would think in the $15-20 range.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes, tipical the kind of lighters used by the German troops during the war. I have seen these with DRGM marks, but often unmarked too. Pitty they didn't mark these more. They used to be around 10 euros a piece, but thats 10 years ago.

Wagriff, thank you so much for your reply. This was what I wanted to know. I will tell my grandfather about it. Also thank you for the value indication although I have no intention to sell them, it's always nice to know and interesting. Again, thank you for your information.