Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 German canteen?

Article about: Hello, When the 1 liter M31 canteen has these strap but not hook, it means that it was meant for the DRK. Same canteen, same closure straps, same carrying strap (missing here), but no hook..

Default Re: WW2 German canteen?

Hello,
    When the 1 liter M31 canteen has these strap but not hook, it means that it was meant for the DRK. Same canteen, same closure straps, same carrying strap (missing here), but no hook...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German canteen?
    P
    Many

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    When the 1 liter M31 canteen has these strap but not hook, it means that it was meant for the DRK. Same canteen, same closure straps, same carrying strap (missing here), but no hook...
    Thanks
    DRK 1l canteens have brown straps (same colour as seen on so-called NSDAP canteens, see the photo). The canteen shown by Peewee seems to be regular 0,6l canteen for the troops, the additional leather strap that's stitched around it is not original and IMO is not of German origin at all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German canteen?  

?

is a regular ... is absolutely original, is found in an old house that served as a German command-post , manufacturer: L&SL41

Quote by peewee View Post
    is a regular ... is absolutely original, is found in an old house that served as a German command-post , manufacturer: L&SL41
    I just tried to say that this is not a standard medical canteen, but someone has stitched the extra strap to the cover of regular Feldflasche 31. And, of course, it could have been done during the war by a German soldier, who for some reason wanted his canteen customized with shoulder strap. He just used the materials he could at the moment, in this case some unknown piece of leather, some unknown metal rings and kind of cord to replace the shoulder strap. Interesting canteen, one of a kind.

?

I do not think something could be done on the frontline , not hand sewing !!

I have in the collection canteens that are rebuilt and modified on the front, but that seems very well made ​​directly in the factory

Another problem is ... not finding the manufacturer?!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German canteen?   WW2 German canteen?  

WW2 German canteen?   WW2 German canteen?  

Quote by peewee View Post
    not hand sewing !!

that seems very well made directly in the factory
    I'm 100% sure that this kind of canteen straps never came out of any TR factory. It is field made, but that doesn't necessarily mean "hand stitching". Every German unit had the machines for all kinds of field repairs, including the stiching works.

?

I understand ... I suspect this because I've never seen anything like it! Thanks

Quote by gnadenlose View Post
    DRK 1l canteens have brown straps (same colour as seen on so-called NSDAP canteens, see the photo). The canteen shown by Peewee seems to be regular 0,6l canteen for the troops.

Hello,
    sorry, straps looks a bit brown on my screen...dirty dark brown
    the standard german M31 canteen is 0,8 liter, not 0,6...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I've seen a few early manufacture water bottles that were medical, having a natural tan / brown leather harness and shoulder strap wihich was made and issued without the hook on the reverse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2