Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Y-strap hooks

Article about: Hi Chaps, does anybody know where I can get an original pair of Y-Strap hooks? I've got a set of leather Y-Straps; but the hooks are a bit rusty & pitted & I'd like to replace them,

Default Y-strap hooks

Hi Chaps, does anybody know where I can get an original pair of Y-Strap hooks? I've got a set of leather Y-Straps; but the hooks are a bit rusty & pitted & I'd like to replace them, Cheers, Richard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Y-strap hooks
    P
    Many

Default Re: Y-strap hooks

Hello Richard,
    The thing is that usually hooks are not removable on Y-straps. There's a little piece of leather meant to stop them at the end of each strap. Clean the original hooks instead and remove the rust that can be removed. No harm would be done to the item...but if you take apart the leather parts and change the hooks, IMO this item would have lost a part of its history. Would be better for display, but as collectable it would loose a lot of interest.
    Thanks
    Last edited by JPhilip; 05-22-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I agree.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Chaps, thanks for the feedback. I've managed to get the hooks off without damaging the leather bit at the end of the straps (one had a bit missing already) & have placed the hooks in a oil bath. We'll have to see what happens, Cheers, Richard.

Hello,
    A photo showing the condition of the hooks would be helpful.
    Did you have to bend the leather in order to take the hooks out ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Hi, the hooks are still in the oil bath, so I'll post the set when I've put the back on. The hooks were a squeeze to get off but I didn't need to bend the leather too much. One leather stop was already missing a little bit on the end so the hook came off easily, Cheers, Richard.

Hello,
    Just wondering what condition are the hooks to deserve an oil bath...?
    Aren't you sure that a little bit of WD40 and some 000 steel wool could not do the job properly ?
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

Hi, yes that's my plan. The oil is WD40 in a jar & I've got some 000 steel wool after they've soaked for a bit that should do the trick, Cheers, Richard.

Hi JPhilip, here they are. Cleaned up & back on. The WD40 & 000 steel wool worked wonders. Much better

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Y-strap hooks   Y-strap hooks