Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Y-Strap Identification help

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help identifying a some cavalry lightweight Y-straps. I'm looking to find out if these are unit marked or manufacturer marked. The ring and back hook app

Default Y-Strap Identification help

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help identifying a some cavalry lightweight Y-straps.

I'm looking to find out if these are unit marked or manufacturer marked. The ring and back hook appear to be brass. They are a bit heavy so I figured as much, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also hoping someone can identify the maker of the hooks. (I've included a photo of the stamp). The stamp reads: 2./N. 5 II

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Y-Strap Identification help
    P
    Many

Can anyone also provide more information on these types of y-straps? Possibly any photos of them in use? Or recommend any good books on the matter?

Thanks again!

The "N" tells me that this is likely issued by a Nachrichten/Signals Unit...I believe these are Imperial/WWI...
    cheers, Glenn

Would you say they are imperial, due to the use of brass on the center ring and back hook?

...Also the lack of Waffenamt/WaA/Maker's Stamp or RB-stamping lead me to believe so...
    Imperial Telegraph Unit...quite nice.
    cheers, Glenn

It is more then likely a ww1 / reichswehr era one.... also most probably the aluminium hooks are added later and do not belong to the set.

btw, I have never seen Y straps that had a WaA stamp

Tom

Hmm I only thought that cavalry units used Y-straps during WWI? ...
    Everyone else seem to use the bread bag strap, if they have anything at all.

I think it is Imperial era as suggested. Looks like the hook is marked for Assman - but the photo is fuzzy. NH

Hello,
    It is a tricky one as it has mixed brass/aluminium metal fittings and the unit marking is of the Heer type...
    Marking should mean : 2. Kompanie of Nachrichten Abteilung 5
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)