Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Zeltbahn cleaning

Article about: I have recently received a Zeltbahn. I was wondering if there is any recommended way of cleaning theses things. There are a few stains and it has that age old musty smell to it. Would be nic

Default Zeltbahn cleaning

I have recently received a Zeltbahn. I was wondering if there is any recommended way of cleaning theses things.
    There are a few stains and it has that age old musty smell to it. Would be nice to display it without that unwanted odor. Any help or advise would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance
    Detlef

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zeltbahn cleaning
    P
    Many

You may be stuck with the stains. I would not use any stain remover or harsh chemical. Only a very mild bath by hand with a very mild detergent would be advisable if you must clean it to get rid of the smell. You should hang it to dry - don't put it in a hot dryer. NH

?

If you have to wash it do not use tap water. Use distilled or spring water. They are non chlorinated like tap water. I clean stuff in spring water all the time. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Thumbs up

Neil and Rich are both spot-on. A couple of my Zeltbahnen arrived in filthy and smelly condition. It's vital to preserve the original pattern and any stampings so gently does it ! These things can pick up a lot of dust and dirt in 70 years, so you'll find that the results of a gentle wash can be well worth your patience.

or it can fall apart in the wash as a mate of mine found out! I wouldn't risk it in my junk + I love the smell

Down to personal preference but a gentle hand wash in warm water (Spring, distilled) or otherwise and hanging out to air dry should be fine.

I'd leave it as is, personally. The chance of improving it is mitigated by the risk of it falling apart or bleaching in the wash. The stains are part of its history as a piece, likely earned through hard use, and cleaning it would remove that.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I'd leave it as is, personally. The chance of improving it is mitigated by the risk of it falling apart or bleaching in the wash. The stains are part of its history as a piece, likely earned through hard use, and cleaning it would remove that.

Regards, B.B.
    Yep i agree, if you want rid of the musty smell hang it on a washing line for a couple of days to air it!...

Thanks for the advise guys. Really appreciated.
    I can live with the stains. Will air it and be content with that.
    Again thanks.
    Detlef