Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

2011 Carboot finds Etc

Article about: This is not a sniper scope, it has no turrets for elevation or windage. It is a gun sighting scope as used in tanks or on artillery pieces. John

Default Re: 2011 Carboot finds Etc

Saturday 25 June, out early today, but not to the boot sale, instead to Wallingford town centre, to do a small display with my Vickers machine gun, on behalf of the local council, for Forces Day and the unveiling of a new plaque on the Town Hall, for the Local Rifles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2011 Carboot finds Etc  

Sunday 26 June, glorius weather brought out lots of sellers to the two carboots that I went to. A real mixed selection today, my favorites being the Turkish cap badge (bought together with the Australian badge) and the "App Obs of Fire Slide Rule MkVI 1915" (found in a box of old tools), other items, No7 Mk1L bayonet (blade in poor condition), 2x WW1 type mess tins (not WD marked though), 1915 WD & Service number marked shoe brush, unusual sight (has a WD arrow but no other marks, any ideas anyone ?), a nice map printed in 1945, for the Battle of Britain and produced for the Womans Land Army Fund, and all the other items shown in the photo.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2011 Carboot finds Etc   2011 Carboot finds Etc  

Map and sight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2011 Carboot finds Etc   2011 Carboot finds Etc  

NCA
    ?

Great thread!Looks like you get very lucky at the car boots...Vintage tractor/steam rallys are good hunting grounds!
    a question about your Enfield case/cover.Does it have a shoulder strap?I got one at my local car boot a couple of weeks ago.I cant find any trace of there being one on it?

Quote by NCA View Post
    Great thread!Looks like you get very lucky at the car boots...Vintage tractor/steam rallys are good hunting grounds!
    a question about your Enfield case/cover.Does it have a shoulder strap?I got one at my local car boot a couple of weeks ago.I cant find any trace of there being one on it?
    Hi NCA, it does not have a shoulder strap, I've checked with another that I also have, which does have a strap, but on closer inspection it has actually been added later.
    Regards
    Gary

Saturday 2 July, 2x Royal Naval souvenirs and a ISAF shirt to the Second Fusiliers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2011 Carboot finds Etc  

Sunday 3rd July, 1944 US wire cutters and entrenching tool, 1935 Air Ministry G clamp and a 1939 Air Ministry spoon, not much this weekend.
    Regards Gary

Very nice finds -hard work and diligence clearly pays off!

Regarding the medals you picked up, there's a reasonable chance that this is the chap whose WW2 medals you have acquired: CWGC :: Casualty Details

My logic being that your WW1 chap was named George (subject to confirmation of service number but only one "G Goddard" listed for Welsh Regt, confirmed entitled to a pair) and the chap I mentioned above was named George and had a father named George. Not conclusive, but a reasonable chance. Either way, there's only 2 candidates on CWGC it could have been.

Hi Gary,

Regarding your H.M.S. Southwold find, you should get a kick out of this!

HMS Southwold, Malta on Vimeo

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

.....More info on her short career and ultimate demise.

Malta Marine Foundation ~ SOUTHWOLD

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast