Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

2012 Carboot finds Etc

Article about: Saturday 9th June & Sunday 10th, Saturdays find were, WD & Air ministry tools, US Barcalo spanners and a nice Goss china piece, in the shape of a "Trench Motar". Sunday day

?

Default Re: 2012 Carboot finds Etc

Nice grabs! Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Sunday 2nd September, went away for the weekend to Bognor Regis (Butlins), found the local carboot and popped down, not much there except 5x wartime issues of the Guernsey Evening Press, they are dated for 1943/44, and give an interesting insight into German occupation of the Island. Seller claimed he found them inside an old piano !
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2012 Carboot finds Etc  

Sunday 9th September, a couple of finds today, a wooden sign "T A Units", measures 25" x 19", is the cat the formation sign for the "56th (London) Division" ?,seller had no idea where it came from, USAF headphones and what a appears to be a pair RAF flying boots, I'm uncertain though if these are RAF issue, no labels or marks, not a style I recognise, does anybody know ?
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2012 Carboot finds Etc   2012 Carboot finds Etc  

Wow, that sign is awesome I love things like that.

The formation is the 56th (London) Armoured Division (TA), featuring the badge used from 1950 onwards.

Rob

September 30th, finds were a "44 Pattern" water bottle and cup, 1940 dated P59 steel box, 1942 WD large oil can, small 1938 Air Ministry grease gun, and some interesting books, the small one titled "SPY" being a novel, dated 1944 but with the words "Cheap War Edition on Thin Paper" on the dust jacket, a nice home front item.
    Regards Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2012 Carboot finds Etc  

?

Quote by garys39 View Post
    September 30th, finds were a "44 Pattern" water bottle and cup, 1940 dated P59 steel box, 1942 WD large oil can, small 1938 Air Ministry grease gun, and some interesting books, the small one titled "SPY" being a novel, dated 1944 but with the words "Cheap War Edition on Thin Paper" on the dust jacket, a nice home front item.
    Regards Gary

Nice pick-ups, as usual, Gary.

The 44ptn waterbottle and mug look to be in great condition and, unless I am mistaken, are early ones, identified by the metal cap on the bottle.
    I carried one of these for years, as did my brother. (Lot better than the 58ptn plastic ones) My son still uses the mug, (he's currently in the army). Unfortunately I loaned my w/bottle out and never got it back, still got the carrier though!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi Ian,
    the cup is dated 1965 and marked PATT44, I've been collecting a long time (40 odd years) and this is the first I've found at a carboot, I probably would have missed it but recently on the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, these was talk about them, and this one caught my eye in a pile of 1970's vintage camping gear, the chap wanted £3 for it and I thought this was a bargain. The bottle is unmarked and I believe this is normal.
    Regards
    Gary

?

Quote by garys39 View Post
    Hi Ian,
    the cup is dated 1965 and marked PATT44, I've been collecting a long time (40 odd years) and this is the first I've found at a carboot, I probably would have missed it but recently on the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, these was talk about them, and this one caught my eye in a pile of 1970's vintage camping gear, the chap wanted £3 for it and I thought this was a bargain. The bottle is unmarked and I believe this is normal.
    Regards
    Gary
    Hi Gary,

You got an excellent bargain there mate, genuine ones go for double figures, and that's as separate items!
    All you need now is a good, complete, 44ptn carrier for it, (complete as in still got the hanger clip - they are frequently removed so that can hang lower on a web-belt), "Millbank Waterpurifier bag" and the appropriate water-purifier tablets tube and you've got the complete set.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

6/7 October, finds this weekend were, ATS holdall (poor condition, it was full of tools, but I tipped these out into to a box at the boot sale), SOE issue wire cutters, WW1 carpenters plane, unknown item that appears to be a grease gun (with its canvas cover), and most interesting of all some maps that were from the estate of Lt Col Norman Crawley, 6th Airborne (see below for his details).

Norman Crawley

The maps show Palestine/Tel Aviv, for Operation Shark.
    Regards Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2012 Carboot finds Etc   2012 Carboot finds Etc  

2012 Carboot finds Etc  

Gary, just found this thread. Some great finds. The tan cylinder you described as a grease gun in the last post is, I believe, for testing for gases. You put detector paper inside and suck the air into it to see if there is gas in the air.

Thanks

Ed

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast