Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2014 Carboot Finds Etc

Article about: I thought I would post my finds for this year, from bootsales and local auctions, etc. I went to my local village auction yesterday and was fortunate to pick up the the following trunk, from

Default 2014 Carboot Finds Etc

I thought I would post my finds for this year, from bootsales and local auctions, etc.
    I went to my local village auction yesterday and was fortunate to pick up the the following trunk, from an estate clearance, the contents were from a Captain Despaigne 214078. There was stiff competition and bidding for it, but I eventually came through with a £40 bid. From the same estate there was also a Snider Rifle, the lock is marked Tower 1871 (and a crown), but I think it is a private purchase one rather than military issue. Condition is fair, but it appears to have a replacement hammer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2014 Carboot Finds Etc   2014 Carboot Finds Etc  

2014 Carboot Finds Etc  

Jackets and trousers are cotton, labels have been removed from the trousers, dated 1944 mosquito net, 1943 US canvas/rubber soled boots, these items make me think far east use ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2014 Carboot Finds Etc   2014 Carboot Finds Etc  

2014 Carboot Finds Etc  

CBH
    ?

Nice find ! Great wedding , almost a total display in a box .
    Cheers

Cool jungle boots.

He was with SOE and went to SE Asia late in the war. Here's his obituary:

Obituary: Harry Despaigne - People - News - The Independent

Cheers, Tom

Hello, I was issued a pair of boots that from your photo's appear identical to yours. The boots were issued to me during a tour of Belize in the mid 80's. I didn't rate them very highly, the sole seperated from the uppers after the first 3 day patrol. After that I reverted back to the good old combat high.

great looking finds.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Nice find well worth it

What a great story -
    Carcasonne is where we spend our holidays, a beautiful part of France, but the only thing I found there was a rusty Lewis magazine -
    Your collection is really a treasure to find - are you going to put it on a mannequin?

Thankyou for your replies, it would appear this trunk is from the time when Harry Despaigne was in Force 136 in the Far East. It will make a good display piece at some time in the future. It would be good to find photos of this period and maybe some of Harry himself maybe.
    Regards Gary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast