Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find

Article about: One of my mates gave me this yesterday. He had went round to give one of his workmates a hand to clear an attic for his great 92 year old aunt who was getting free loft insulation fitted. Wh

Default 49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find

One of my mates gave me this yesterday.
    He had went round to give one of his workmates a hand to clear an attic for his great 92 year old aunt who was getting free loft insulation fitted.
    When he arrived this battle blouse was in the trailer ready for the town tip, so he saved it for me. he said just about everything in the attic seemed to range from the 1910s to 1950s, unfortunately the guy had already been to the tip with two trailers full before he arrived. Some boxes he never even opened because of his rush to get the job done. I wonder what else was dumped, sounded like an attic I could have spent hours in.
    When my mate arrived he managed to get him to save some of what was left.
    His aunt had lived in the house all her life and told him to dump the lot.
    Its not that special and the moths have had a good time with it. But it would have been a shame if it had finished up in land fill.
    I am not sure what the red/ black/ red bar below the division badge represents, is it just R.A.O.C insignia.
    Nice things still out there to be found.
    Regards
    Rod
    49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find

A very good pick up and great it was saved from the dump. The red/blue/red strip is the arm of service colours for the RAOC. Nice printed shoulder titles and formation patches. Medal ribbons for 39-45 and France & Germany Stars and Defence Medal. It makes you wonder what was sent to the dump before this, a shame perhaps if his medals or other items had gone.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for that mate.
    Yes I was well peeved when I had heard that most of it went to the tip, I know one box had about a hundred 1930s/1940s news papers in it. God knows what was in the rest.
    I have heard that she has an outhouse full of stuff that she wants cleared, needless to say I have offered my help.
    I will have to find out who this blouse actually belonged to.
    Thanks again
    Rod

Rod, It would be great if you could put a name to it. Maybe if you get real lucky, you might be able to get a photo of him from her as well.
    Regards,

Jerry

What a great save, that would have been a travesty if it had ended up in the bin! As you know that is a super period battledress that would have been worn by a chap who had been there and done it! Great find and as you say "what else did make the scrap heap"? Leon.

jwp
    ?

What a great find !, glad you were able to save this and give it a good home !,
    cheers,
    John.

well my mate had saved a regimental photograph, they didn't have the 49th insignia, but now I am wondering if they were the 11th Royal Scots fusiliers, and perhaps that's the connection.
    here is a little I have learned.
    11th Battalion:
    1939: The Battalion was part of the 147th Infantry Brigade and stayed with the same Brigade throughout the war. It became attached to 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division
    11th. Royal Scots Fusiliers
    I like the research part of this hobby.
    glad she is still with us so might get some clarification.
    cheers
    Rod

I would assume as he was RAOC and that he was corps troops on attachment, though there are no RAOC units listed as attached to them.

49 Reconnaissance Regiment, RAC
    228, 229, 230, 294, 756, 757 Field Company, RE
    231 & 289 Field Park Company, RE
    23 Bridging Platoon, RE
    49 Divisional Signals, RSC
    69, 70, 71, 74, 79, 80, 143, 178, 185 Field Regiment, RA
    55, 58, 88 Anti-Tank Regiment, RA
    89, 118 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA
    2nd Battalion, The Kensington Regiment (M.G.)
    49 Royal army Service Corps ( R.A.S.C )
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    What a great save, that would have been a travesty if it had ended up in the bin! As you know that is a super period battledress that would have been worn by a chap who had been there and done it! Great find and as you say "what else did make the scrap heap"? Leon.
    Thanks mate its one of the few times that letting people know what one of my hobbies are has paid off.
    With my job I must be in about four attics a week and have never come across one like this must have been, then again I don’t go through peoples belongings. It wouldn’t be right.
    Thanks
    Rod

I cannot really help you much at all apart from showing you this picture of my granddad PTE V PORTWAY who was in the Lincolnshire Regt 1st wave D-Day Sword beach, after being wounded on D-Day+40 something, he was sent back to Middlesbrough hospital until he recovered and then was reposted to the Sherwood Foresters in the 49th division! A bit of a side track I know but what the hell , it may be of some use!! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 49th West Riding battledress blouse attic find  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast