Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

633 squadron

Article about: Was at a local shop and found this little treat. I have to say I have never seen this movie . anybody seen it . I really like the photo where the SS man is given him a really bad Indian burn

Watch the film, it's a fine viewing and if I recall correctly Johnny Briggs from Coronation Street was in it! A superb soundtrack as well, by the way Dean, those are great posters, I love the Zulu one in particular. I have a nice black and white signed 10x8 of Michael Caine as Lt Broomhead. Leon.

?

Great stuff! Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Thanks Rich A.

Lightbulb

Quote by HistoryMan View Post

. Some enthusiasts hid one in a hanger and it survived and the rest is history so to speak
    That's W4050, the Mossie prototype. It was moved around post-war ( from Hatfield to Panshanger, then up to Chester). This was when the Works Manager ordered it to be burned due to lack of space. It was saved by Bill Baird, de Havilland's deputy PR manager who 'conspired' with other staff to get the aircraft back to Hatfield where it was 'hidden' in a small,outlying hangar.

This led to the famous incident in the mid-50s when finally arrangements were made for the preservation and display of W4050 at Salisbury Hall. One of DH's directors called Bill Baird into his office, saying that he'd heard that Bill needed some money to house the ashes of the aircraft he'd instructed Bill to burn some years earlier......

And W4050 is still at Salisbury Hall to this day.

RR299, the T.III in the earlier post, survived for so long by virtue of being kept on charge until the early 1960s by No. 3 CAACU at Exeter in company with most of the '633 Squadron' Mossies.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    That's W4050, the Mossie prototype. It was moved around post-war ( from Hatfield to Panshanger, then up to Chester). This was when the Works Manager ordered it to be burned due to lack of space. It was saved by Bill Baird, de Havilland's deputy PR manager who 'conspired' with other staff to get the aircraft back to Hatfield where it was 'hidden' in a small,outlying hangar.

This led to the famous incident in the mid-50s when finally arrangements were made for the preservation and display of W4050 at Salisbury Hall. One of DH's directors called Bill Baird into his office, saying that he'd heard that Bill needed some money to house the ashes of the aircraft he'd instructed Bill to burn some years earlier......

And W4050 is still at Salisbury Hall to this day.

RR299, the T.III in the earlier post, survived for so long by virtue of being kept on charge until the early 1960s by No. 3 CAACU at Exeter in company with most of the '633 Squadron' Mossies.
    Ah no worries, I always thought the tale referred to G-ASKH RR299 which we had up here at Broughton for many years up until 1996.

Cheers

Picked this up this week
    Its huge !

From 1969, albeit the French Version

5.5 feet tall and 4 feet wide !

The movie did have overtones based on Operation Jericho, hence the reason i bought it

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 633 squadron  

?

Great looking poster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2