Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

American pickers

Article about: I watch this programme & can't believe these guys.....they are on the road looking for stuff they can make a buck on , so they go into someones barn that is chocca block with loads of go

Default Re: American pickers

Hi Guys,

Just saw this thread.

I just worked with the owner of the Gatling that was on the episode of Pawn Stars.
    We rented the gun for a movie project.

He confirmed it's completely scripted - in other words fake, as if there was any doubt.
    The Gatling was not for sale, and did not sell, it was rented, the same way we rented it.
    It's TV guys, entertainment, don't sweat it.

The owner on left, stuntman in middle, me on right.
    American pickers
    http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...gejpeg_2_3.jpg

During filming.
    American pickers
    http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...gejpeg_2_4.jpg

Sorry to have shattered anyones illusions, lol.

Pit.

On both Pawn Stars and American Pickers the product placement is making it worse than the scripting. At least with the scripting we can still see some interesting pieces. It's like historical fiction.

Never mind Pawn Stars replaced Sean with Craig Gottlieb. Even before reading about him he was insufferable to watch.

I do wish that the History Channel would go back to it's roots a little bit.

Not all is scripted. I to know a person whom was on the show. Infact, I'm on the show in the back ground while he is giving an interview outside. Although he didnt sell his item, everything which accorded was "kosher".

However, although I've never meet an individual who was apart of a scripted scene, I'm sure many have taken place. Infact, in the first season, American restoration brother sales an coke item "acting like its a family item pasted down". Not hard to figure out that was a scripted scene.

I saw a pawn star episode where they brought original plans for D-Day! Man I wish I could have got it online....

Caleb..

I can only speak for the episode the Gatling gun was on - it was all scripted or "directed."

Pit.

Let's face it, most of this stuff is scripted, filmed, re-filmed, adjusted, filmed again, re-buried, filmed from a different angle etc... etc.. just to get the one shot.

Worst ever example was a Time Team shoot in Normandy, (after watching this I was banned from watching TT again by the wife if it was to do with WW2 due to the amount of shouting and swearing that I directed at the telly !!!). I forget where they were digging but a so-called expert was showing Tony Robinson a short length of MG42/34 belt that had been 'dug'. In it were 5 or 6 7.92 rounds, correctly identified by the 'expert'. However, what he didn't explain was......

1. Why were there 5 or 6 SPENT 7.92s in the belt ?????

2. Why were they in the belt UPSIDE DOWN !!!!

I lost my temper, shouting ensued.....it wasn't pretty. Just highlights how much they try to 'enhance' the scenes they shoot.

Quote by davejb View Post
    Just watched an episode of American pickers, they were in Tennesse , inside some guys old barn, where they bought some very old BSA BB guns, but right in the foreground in plain sight was a very nice black M16 helmet with what looked like the remnants of an SS decal, I would love to have a rummage around some of those places, ive seen lots of militaria on these shows and they just by-pass most of it, except from one where they picked up a nice NCO s Japanese samurai sword from Iwo Jima, taken by the vet who sold it to them, they got that for $60
    I saw that and I could not believe that they did not even ask about it- they utterly tooled an old woman in the 1st season for a Japanese Helmet, belts and letter box- I know that they have to know the value of these things but I see militaria that they constantly pass by & pick up a $5 oil can that can sell for just $20........ponderous!

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    On both Pawn Stars and American Pickers the product placement is making it worse than the scripting. At least with the scripting we can still see some interesting pieces. It's like historical fiction.

Never mind Pawn Stars replaced Sean with Craig Gottlieb. Even before reading about him he was insufferable to watch.

I do wish that the History Channel would go back to it's roots a little bit.
    Yes- were are the Historical shows on "actual" history..............one word- LAME!

?

I think I"m going to pass on this show now - I'd probably up my blood pressure like the rest of you. Pawnstars is entertaining at times but yeah, another crock of shit. Remember when History Channel showed nothing other than Wings and Documentaries + 60/70's war movies? Those were the days.

CBH
    ?

I too miss the old history channel . It had history on it ! TV is all going to shit , I get the military channel and I couldn't believe the crap they have on now . Discovery used to have science etc not crab shows followed by Gold shows !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4