Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to find ww2 items!?

Article about: I would suggest doing a little research. For example, in my town was a training facility for an artillery unit. They are still here, only they have switched to heavy mortars. So, around in m

Question Best place to find ww2 items!?

What would be the best ways to find out about estate sales, vets selling their possesions or attic finds? I see alot of people finding awesome stuff in these places and wanted to get into it.

Default Re: Best place to find ww2 items!?

Quote by Nathan5kdp View Post
    What would be the best ways to find out about estate sales, vets selling their possesions or attic finds? I see alot of people finding awesome stuff in these places and wanted to get into it.
    I dont understand it when you say you want to get into it. What do you think this type of collecting is, do you think its the same as collecting baseball cards, or marbels or what.

Are you " GETTING INTO IT " to make a quick buck, or what..

We had people here in the states that was getting to it, when the gun prices started to go crazy last year, they never owned a gun before, but they would say the same thing, they was getting into it. They would buy a gun at one gun show, and tried to resell the same gun, the next weekend gun show for twice what they just paid for it.

I hope if, and when you do come across a vet that has some WW2 items for sale , that you treat them right, and not try and take advantage of them.

Brian

Haha woah buddy! thats not what I meant at all. You sound alittle paranoid. I'm a private collector like the majority of you guys on here. I just always thought the only way to find things for my collection was to buy them from the net, another collector or dig them up yourself off a battlefield. But reading this part of the forum i see that people are finding these amazing treasures in basements and attics, or at estate sales. And i was wondering how you guys do that... because not all estate sales or basements have these kind of things in them laying around. I'm only 18 and haven't sold a thing in my life regarding to militaria. And i don't plan to sell anything.

So I'm just wondering do you look on the net somehow for estate sales in your area or what. And for vets selling their possesions how are you informed about this.

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forum. There are many places to look. I don't know where you live, but there is lots of stuff at antique shops, flea markets, as well as estate sales. In the states, items are usually pretty expensive at the estate sales. I've had pretty good luck picking stuff up at antique shops off the beaten path. Specifically away from freeways or tourist areas. But you have to have a good idea what you are looking at. Do your homework, look at as many posts as you can on this forum so you know what's good and what's junk. Go to none franchise places to eat in most towns and they usually have boards where they list the auctions and estate sales. They also post them in the local papers. You can also find stuff on a few good web sites. The main thing is don't get in a hurry. You can also put up a sign at the same places stating you are interested in buying WWII items or whatever you are interested in buying. It also helps to buy reference books on what your area of interest is. Hope that helps and good luck!

Jay

Then i apologize, I find my items from endless searching the net, I talk to the Vets at the Va hospital when i go for my appointments, which i have about 3-4 times a week right now.

I go to gun shows, and flea markets also, my local VA rep that covers my county, all ways has his ears open for me.

And believe it or not, i find a lot of items at yard/garage sales.

Plus i have relatives that live in Germany.

Brian

I agree with Brian, but I live in the midwest and prices at gun shows here seem to be very high and I've never had much luck talking them down. Gun shows here do usually have alot of stuff if you can negotiate a decent price.

Jay

I also live in North America and prices are rediculous. Thats exactly why I wanted to know how to locate these opportunities to buy some things possible cheaper than the average market. Thanks guys for helping me out and i will do my research. There is only one military shop in my city and his prices are insane (I don't know how he's still in business). Thank you blackheart, I'm sorry too i did come across abit suspicious, my family fought in the war and I have no intentions of scamming anyone off. Especially a Vet. Money isn't unlimited for me so I just wanted a second option at finding some things to add to my collection.

Nathan

The stuff we're finding we get from 'carboot' sales in England. These are just regular gatherings of people who pack their cars full of, what is almost totally.....CRAP and sell it to other people for a ridiculously small sum of money. Most people use carboots as a way of getting money for their junk....others see it as their main method of earning money !

I go to one every week and spot the militaria that is being sold by someone who either doesn't know what it is or doesn't care, and hence get it for virtually nothing. I avoid the 'boots' with all militaria as the guys are either selling fakes or know what they have and charge the right price for it.

That's it really....keep your eye out and haggle.

Cheers

Steve T

carboots are allways nice, but you have to be early

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast