Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Box of History

Article about: Ill post a few starter pieces as soon as I can. I'm at work now so might be a few hours. Sorry to keep y'all in suspense.

Default Re: Box of History

Ill post a few starter pieces as soon as I can. I'm at work now so might be a few hours. Sorry to keep y'all in suspense.

[QUOTE=Greenhorn;776332]Technical reading, Steve! lol[Quote/]

VEEERY Interesting.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

OK, here are a few letters from the WWII era (1943-45 to be exact) All appear to be stateside letters, so I don't know if any real amazing information will be contained within. I have not read them yet but I did peak inside a few envelopes and saw that it was handwritten cursive writing. I hope to read one at a time, photograph the letter and transcribe the writing so it's easier to read. I hope I find more WWII letters than just this bunch. More to come.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Box of History  

Top left letter says Fort Fisher, NC. That is like a 5 minute drive from me right now! It is in Wilmington, North Carolina. Samuel Cook sounds familiar, I think we have a historic landmark dedicated to a veteran by that last name, but I think he is a Colonel. There is a park named after him.

This is exciting,
    Corey

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Top left letter says Fort Fisher, NC. That is like a 5 minute drive from me right now! It is in Wilmington, North Carolina. Samuel Cook sounds familiar, I think we have a landmark dedicated to him, a veteran of WWII. But maybe it is a Captain or a Colonel I am thinking of, I'll drive out and take a look tomorrow.

This is exciting,
    Corey
    Now that's funny! Only 5 minutes? I expect a full report tomorrow, lol. I was just reading about it on the NC Historical Sites webpage. The center envelope says Camp Davis, which the webpage says was an associated camp, or an extension of Camp Fisher.

Camp Davis is near me to, I've always wondered where all these military planes were taking off from. You can hear them every now and then, they do circles over my apartment and drive me crazy. I think during WWII, according to Wikipedia, the camp had a Coastal Artillery Anti-Aircraft Firing Range, where Cpl. Cook did his training.

Corey

Guess it was just a convenient place for AAA training. Maye the army already owned the site so it was a perfect place.

whoops, I edited my last comment. What is most interesting to me is how those letters got to the UK, we must have had a terrible postage system back then.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    ......... and saw that it was handwritten cursive writing.
    Don't you just hate that, when people have such little command of the English language they use a curse words all over the place.

Da dum dum TISH !

lol darn curse words. My wife read the other day that one of the top 5 skills that people are losing is the ability to write in cursive. Doesn't surprise me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast