Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone help me Identify this mounted soldiers country? Aussie-Brit?

Article about: Daniel B. Stewart looks right, the landscape looks like South Africa to me ..Different bandolier and boots from the Imperial Yeomanry pic..

?

Default Can anyone help me Identify this mounted soldiers country? Aussie-Brit?

I have been remodeling my upstairs so I have been going through many of my tubs of stuff. Found this picture postcard. It was mailed to the US in 1888.
    At first I was thinking Aussie but now I am thinking it could be British in South Africa? What do you guys think? He signed it at the bottom in ink.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help me Identify this mounted soldiers country? Aussie-Brit?  

Slouch hat... Aussie

Not only Australian the slouch hat....rifle looks like a Lee-Metford..photo doesnt look Australian to me

Being the Lee-Metford,predecessor to the Lee Enfields tie its age in to 1888 when the rifle was introduced (1888 – 1926), now i think the Australian mounted troops in 1888 were still using the Martini Henry..ill do a bit more for you when i get home from work..can you tell me his name

Imperial Yeomanry?

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    Slouch hat... Aussie
    The British used slouch hats for years, so it does not make him Aussie. Hard to tell what he is from the picture supplied.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

His signature had me flumoxed for a bit there but now I read it as Daniel B. Stewart if that helps.

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Imperial Yeomanry?

Looks very similar or the same, with the braid on the cuff and the stripe on the trousers.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The pic looks to have been taken in Egypt if that helps, perhaps with the short time bracket of the Lee Metford's issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast