Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can anyone help me Identify this mounted soldiers country? Aussie-Brit?

Article about: Daniel B. Stewart looks right, the landscape looks like South Africa to me ..Different bandolier and boots from the Imperial Yeomanry pic..

Daniel B. Stewart looks right, the landscape looks like South Africa to me ..Different bandolier and boots from the Imperial Yeomanry pic..

Actually I think the boots are very similar with what looks like a single strap fastened in a spiral up or down the boot, but I agree different bandolier. The breeches though and the piping at the cuffs appear identical. I only came across the Imperial Yeomanry pic the other day when doing research on my 1888 pattern bayonet.

I agree the boots look same/similar. and the piping on the cuffs and trousers look a good match.

The description of the uniform from the link Gary posted sounds very like it.

Going to be hard to get this -for me-, unless someone can search ancestry perhaps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looks very similar to the New Zealand Mounted rifles.. the kiwis liked the bandolier hanging from left to right...The Australian mounted rifles at that stage i think were opposite (dont quote me on that)as im going off memory, this may only apply to some selected NSW rifles going off period photos..not sure unless they were all left handed why this was...at this stage its either New Zealand Mounted rifles or Natal for me..

There was a Robert Burnard Stewart in the Cape Mounted Rifles (1888/89) The Home of CricketArchive sorry mate just couldnt find more

Reminds me of the great movie "Breaker Morant". Nice research taking place here....good work!

Breaker Morant..excellent movie.. a lot of Australians want an exoneration of the charges against them

?

WOW guys! I was away from the computer for the last 3 days and can't believe the amount of great info coming my way. Thanks a bunch to all.
    I tried searching for his name but hit a wall with the name. That is why I was hoping to narrow it down by unit/country/location.
    Thanks again everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2