Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canvas Carrier for Mine Markers Possibly?

Article about: I had almost forgotten about these carriers, I'm glad to see this thread reserected, thanks guys! by Danmark Hi Russ, General consensus these gays is that they WERE for gas but as it was nev

Default Canvas Carrier for Mine Markers Possibly?

I’ve posted this item before but thought I’d try again in hopes of getting some fresh eyes and ideas as to what this might be. Found these in the corner of an old antique shop. Was not really sure where to post them, this seem to be the spot that got the most diverse crowd of experts passing through. From all the digging I have done, my best guess is a Carrier Bag for Mine Markers but I have nothing to back that up other than some similar looking photos I’ve come across. No idea of country of origin, vintage or even if it is militaria. I’ve tried to compair hardware, stitching etc. but have come up blank. It has a nice smell too it, that petroleum smell of things that have been put away and preserved?

Any thoughts or ideas what this might be would be greatly appreciated. I have two of these, as you can see, they are identical.

Thanks for your help,

Russ & Son

Default Re: Canvas Carrier for Mine Markers Possibly?

I'm going to shoot this to the top one final time in hopes that someone might recognize these or have an idea what they might be. I seriously starting to think they are not anything military related. Might be time to get ride of these things .......

Thanks,

Russ

to me they look like they could be civvy sporting goods bags of some sort rather than military

The shape is different from the mine marker bag but kind of similar. I have seen a number of civilian items that look almost military. The lack of a Waffenamt makes me think it is civilian. The construction is close to military but this is not unusual. I have a Tauern Sack backpack that looks like a mountain Rucksack - and yet it is civilian. NH

Two things in particular have lead me to believe this is a mine marker bag. 1. I found something very similar looking, with the round reinforced leather end on it, that was identifed as a mine marker case....it was on some militaria site selling things so, as we have all seen, it could have been identified incorrectly. 2. The Smell....it smells kind of oily and greasy, just like old surplus lids and bayonets, with that preservative they put on them, making me think these were warehoused someplace with a bunch of surplus items. Again, this could mean also that a greasy bumper jack was stored inside.

I'm thinking maybe I'll hang on to them for a while until I get tired of trying to figure it out!

I have just posted a german mine with its fitted military canvas case with a makers mark. I hope this helps your identification by comparison of the photographs.

Hi Russ,
    General consensus these gays is that they WERE for gas but as it was never used in WW2 then the efficient Germans used them to mark cleared corridors through minefields ( with the tape that came with each kit wrapped around the poles )

The normal gas flag case is 23" long ( closed ) and the marker poles are 20". How does this measurement stack up to yours?

The other option could be German allies - lots of Bulgarian / Romanian etc.... equipment was similar in styling ( check the number of canteens, field torches and entrenching tools on EBay - most of those are Bulgarian, purporting to be German )

Cheers, Dan

Now THAT'S a Freudian slip! ....... should of typed " these days" !!!!

Dan,Freud was known for his interest in old fashioned fallacies????

?

It's difficult to tell as I have no idea as to the size of the thing, but I have seen something like this recently. It was made of leather and it was a gun bag, made to carry a disassembled shotgun, barrel(s) in one section and stock in another.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast