Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?

Article about: Hi Steve, You've done very well there my friend!! The goggles are Mk VIII model which went into service in 1943. They would have been worn mainly on the 'C' type helmet as the 'B' type of th

Default Re: Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?

Hi Steve,

You've done very well there my friend!!

The goggles are Mk VIII model which went into service in 1943. They would have been worn mainly on the 'C' type helmet as the 'B' type of the Battle of Britain period was by then obsolete.

The frame is the correct RAF colour of grey painted brass, the kicker is that there should be an 'AM' (Air Ministry) stamp on the leather underneath the central hinge of the frame.
    This may be very faint due to the wear on the goggles, so look closely!!

I personally would leave the stitching in the 'as found' condition, but if you want to wear them, then you can get them re-stitched at any saddle makers store (there's loads round here!)

As to value, i saw a pair of almost minty goggles for sale last week up for 250 quid!! Here's mine and a pic of how the whole ensemble should look.(Which i wish was mine!!)

Kind Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?   Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the info Ned.......I shall leave them just as I found them, but probably get them in a frame to protect them

No stamp on the leather under the central hinge unfortuantely.......but I still love them and can't believe my instincts were right for once !

Steve T

?

"Core blimey lubber ducks me old china plate, a whole blooming quid for the Goggles at the drinks in a bar boot, your having a Giraffe "

anyway enough of all that and say again a nice find, just goes to show what I'm missing by not getting up on a Sunday nice and early.
    As to the leather work, I'd leave be if the leathers in good "NICK" (condition) as were using British English slang in this thread just apply some hide food if required.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    A quid and you when back three times before you bought them? I thought I was tight

Well done

Cheers, Ade.
    Nicely put Ade.

Ty

Iv got to say steve you,er jammy sod, but what a find very well done on that one. (a quid, Wooooo )
    dave.

Ty - I didn't know they were RAF goggles ! I just had a picture of Michael Caine in the Battle of Britain in my head and thought they looked sorta similar. Honest !

Thanks Dave ! ....... i think !

Hi steve,
    It just means you,er very lucky, ( jammy sod ) I want some
    lol.
    Dave.

?

Steve, just seen this thread,what a good result, but i see you didnt receive any feedback on repairing the goggles,you might have done by now but my take on this kind of militaria is to preserve any further damage and if that means restitching then i would do it, i have had to resew a number of cloth items as well as leather in order to prevent fraying etc, providing this is done sympathetically and does not alter the original look then i can see no harm,jmo.

Thanks davejb

I decided to leave them be but to protect them from further damage by getting them out of peoples reach, mounting them in the frame as shown below. Hopefully this will keep them from any further deterioration.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carboot buy - But are they anything to do with WW2 ?  

Nice idea that mate, esp. with the period pics.

If I could find my Stadium ex police motorcyclist goggles I would take a photo so you could see the diffrence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast