Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Charity Shop Finds

Article about: First an apology - not been around much of late. Nothing wrong, just general busyness. Aaaaaaaaaaaanyways, I have a passion for books and a passion for rooting around in charity shops. Just

I picked up a couple of nice books last week too - one on Enigma and one on the Pacific theatre. Unfortunately my mum has walked off with them, bless her... They'll make their way onto my bookshelves eventually LOL.

You never know where you can pick up stuff unexpectedly... Went to the local tip / recycling centre with a load of rose clippings on Monday afternoon and saw one of the men pulling these books out of a bag of household waste along with some Horatio Hornblower paperbacks I didn't have. Asked him how much he wanted for the lot. The answer was three of the finest British pounds.

Charity Shop Finds

Left to right: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer, Lidell-Hart's History of the First World War and Lidell-Hart's History of the Second World War. Shame the last two are sans dust jacket, but hey ho...

Nice finds!!! Keep up the hunt for treasures.
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

One of the volunteers at our local charity shop told me that the best item he has seen come into the shop was a complete WW2 R.A.F uniform.

I too have had some good charity shop finds over the years. Mainly its books, but I have got military binoculars, sweetheart brooches, odd bits of uniform, and the best one: a 1970s military parachute with harness for £25

Hmmm, a parachute... That's just a bit different LOL

It's amazing what people will donate or throw away, especially if they're unaware of its worth... On the other hand, I would imagine that a lot of stuff has found homes that are far more appreciative

I intend to keep looking

Another trip to the local recycling centre with garden waste, another successful book hunt. Four pounds bought me this little lot from their sales area:

Charity Shop Finds

L-R: "Markierunen und Tarnanstriche der Luftwaffe im 2. Weltkrieg teil 2" by Karl Ries Jr (unfortunately it's volume 2 only and a bit water damaged), "The Guns of Normandy" by George G Blackburn, "Panzer Battles" by Major-General F. W. von Mellenthin

Charity Shop Finds

L-R: "Fighter Command 1939 - 1945" by David Oliver, "The King's Guards Horse and Foot" by Henry Legge-Bourke

Charity Shop Finds

L-R: "Shot at Dawn" by Julian Putkowski and Julian Sykes, "African Trilogy" by Alan Moorehead, Home Guard Manual 1941 (this one's a facsimile, but I do have an original as well)

Gonna have some fun poking through these, I think.

We dont have Charity Shops over here, but I wish we did!

I go volunteering on Thursday mornings if I can. Today's task was sorting out about 10 black bin bags full of charitable donations that had come in since last week. It was mostly ladies and kiddies clothes, but this little beauty was lurking in the bottom of one of the bags...

Charity Shop Finds

Charity Shop Finds

It looks like WW1 vintage to me; it fits with what I've seen re embroidered cards and such. Anyways, it now has a very good home

Great Stuff.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast