Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!

Article about: Friend of mine is doing a house up in the north of France, and gave me a bell the other day saying he had something for me. He had found something German that I might like. Today he popped a

Default Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!

Friend of mine is doing a house up in the north of France, and gave me a bell the other day saying he had something for me. He had found something German that I might like.
    Today he popped around and gave me this M30 Gasmaske canister, and is it nice or what? He found it on the attic of a house, and by the look of it, it hasn't moved since the war. Well in any way it hasn't been thrown around by kids or so.
    Its very complete, only missing the belts that have rotten away, but still has the leather bits stuck to it. The small band is in good nick and has the typical war time leather band on the canvas (often we see war period canisters been offered with post war DDR straps who did not have this leather piece).
    The inside is like new! Complete with a full set of Klarscheiben dated 43.
    It has the spring at the bottom and even, and this I haven't seen to often; the original white cloth at the bottom. The mask itself is very nicely marked WaA and so is the filter. The mask has a conection piece to the filter that I have also never seen.
    I'll post some pictures of that tomorrow.
    Overall a very, very nice salty piece that has never been touched.
    I've promissed my mate I'll put it up for sale, and we'll split what ever it makes.
    So far I can tell there ar no regimental or personal numbers painted on, but I'll have a better look tomorrow.
    If anybody has any interest in this piece, just drop me a line.
    Greetings from Luxembourg!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!   Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!  

Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!   Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!  

?

Default Re: Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!

I do believe what you have there is the ( short case ) Wehrmacht Gasmaske Modell M30 this model was first introduced in 1936 with a spring loaded latch, Another new feature that was introduced in this type of canister was the aluminum insert which was not present in all canisters . Nice to see the original cleaning cloth ,retaining spring and spare lenses are still there in the protective covers.Nice attic find I might add

Regards Mark K

?

Feuerbach you stated that the filter on the mask has an adapter that you have never before is it by chance a screw on type of cap that is fitted to the right side of the mask just above were the filter screws on .

Regards Mark K

By the sounds of things the facepiece is most likely the type with the removable cap which would allow a microphone to be fitted, or it could possibly be one of the Luftwaffe variations with a filter mount on the side as well as the standard exhale/inhale valve assembly.

It still amazes me that even after all these years there are still things that have been tucked away for over half a centuary.

Thanks for sharing

Danny

?

That was pretty much what I was thinking as well Danny I was just looking at a Kriegsmarine with the microphone adapter built on the right hand side I would love to find one to add to my collection they dont come up for sale very often.

Regards Mark K

Sorry to disapoint you guys, but I dont think it is for a microphone adapter, just in my eyes a strange contrction that I've never seen before. I've had loads of gasmasks, but never saw one with this adapter between the mask and the filter. Maybe it's just an older model, as I just found 1937 markings inside the mask, or maybe just a different Hersteller, I dont know. Here are some pictures, you maybe can tell what it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!   Check out this M30 Gasmaske!!  

Here is another weird one I have; this one was found (loads of them) inside a bunker at the Atlantic Wall. This one also has a strange adaptor to the filter, nad this one has very nice regimental markings on the canister. Maybe also its not so rare, but just simply another Hersteller or early war. I have many different types of gasmasks, but never looked at them good.

?

As best I can tell the snout on the new mask you just received is a GM30-second model snout ( which is in fact 1 st model snout with an additional rear piece Iam looking to see if I can find out why they added this adapter to this model. The second mask has the standard Gm30 model snout. The Gas mask M30 comes in three basic sizes the first mask shown is a size 1 the second mask shown is a size 3 The size number markings only appear on the snout on older model of the M30's

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    As best I can tell the snout on the new mask you just received is a GM30-second model snout ( which is in fact 1 st model snout with an additional rear piece Iam looking to see if I can find out why they added this adapter to this model. The second mask has the standard Gm30 model snout. The Gas mask M30 comes in three basic sizes the first mask shown is a size 1 the second mask shown is a size 3 The size number markings only appear on the snout on older model of the M30's

Regards Mark K
    Thanks Mark for the info. So it's just an additional piece they put on? I've never seen it before, was hopeing on a rare piece. Funny how one finds these gasmasks all over the place, but never looks at them twice. And still there are so many different types, and they are interesting items too!

?

I as well find the M30 masks and there variations interesting I wonder if the adapter was put on there to help mask the soldats breath when he exhaled I will see if I can find any additinal info.

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast