Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

A Couple of Antique Store Finds

Article about: My wife, son and I hit a few of the local antique stores this weekend. Here are a couple of items we dug up. My kid spotted this hidden in a display case and asked the lady there to please o

Default A Couple of Antique Store Finds

My wife, son and I hit a few of the local antique stores this weekend. Here are a couple of items we dug up.

My kid spotted this hidden in a display case and asked the lady there to please open up the case so he could take it out and see what it was. As it has no military markings that were identifiable to me, we just snapped a few photos and went home to try and figure out if it was anything worth wile.

Turns out we stumbled on an Airplane Mooring Case and contents Type D-1 36G4465. Wasn’t hard to find on the net, turns out to be part of the equipment package the US Army Air Force required with the WACO aircraft specification in 1936. It’s missing some of the contents, the two “T” handles, a few of the spikes and of all the rope, but all in all, not a bad find for a pretty fair price so we ran back on Monday and picked it up. The case, although well worn, stained and full of the smells of vintage aviation, is still in great shape, all the snaps still are in tact, no tears and the zipper works just fine. Now we need to go and find the missing parts.

This last photo is one I found on-line that shows a complete mooring kit.

The other cool item we stumble across was on old scrap book. Looks like a mothers scrap book, started some time in early 1945 and is filled with local newspaper clipping of events of the pacific war and of local (Southern California, Inland Empire) soldiers, wounded or KIA that she clipped from newspapers. The scrap book is also filled with many post war articles up until about 1950, most all military aircraft related. The scrapbook is in dire straights and won’t be something my son puts out when he displays his collection, but it sure is a neat little piece of military history. Here are a few photos:

Russ & Son
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 02-16-2011 at 02:08 PM.

?

Default Re: A Couple of Antique Store Finds

Great mooring kit.
    I love the scrap book.
    SteveR

?

love that scrap book...............great find

Glad you like the photo album. Although not a battelfield artifact and my not be considered a collectable, my son and I find these kinds of memorabilia very interesting.

Now, the big challange, to find the missing pieces to the aircraft mooring kit!

Russ & Son

Superb finds. Love both items !

Steve T

I was wondering, what are the dimensions for that bag?

Looks like it might be able to hold my .303 and .22 with some modifications.