Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

is this crimean era wine jug ? any help

Article about: had this old jug in the family for ever , it was said its from the crimean war and was a russian wine jug ive no idea if thats true or not , so if anyone can offer some info that would be gr

Question is this crimean era wine jug ? any help

had this old jug in the family for ever , it was said its from the crimean war and was a russian wine jug

ive no idea if thats true or not , so if anyone can offer some info that would be great

?

Default Re: is this crimean era wine jug ? any help

It appears to be a 19th century earthenware jug wth slip attached rope and medallian clay adornments. I believe that it is hand built rather than wheel thrown. It has been hand dipped in a lowfire glaze either tin or lead base. It certainly has seen hard service in its day. An attractive primitive piece of pottery. That is all I can say without a hands on inspection.
    SteveR

Hi steve3002,

I would concur with most of what SteveR has already stated, and would like to add a little more if i may.

The jug/flask is almost certainly 19th century. It was probably made in or around the Turkish town of Canakkle on the bank of the Dardenelle Straits using the local red clay. The item was 'thrown' on a wheel and, as SteveR says, decorated with a typical Muslim stylized form of floral patterns in slip or relief in brown and/or green glaze. The rope type handles were also typical.

So it is entirely probable, due to it's location of manufacture, that your family history regarding this piece is right on the money!

Heres a linky to show similar items of Cannakle ware, click on the red numbers to view some that are similar [46-51] but look at others too that show the 'foot' of other items are left unglazed, just like yours, and similar floral patterns too.

Suna & ?nan KIRAƇ Collection - Canakkale Ceramics

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

is this the kinda thing i could sell do you think?

Quote by 3002steve View Post
    is this the kinda thing i could sell do you think?
    Not exactly a family heirloom then, eh?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

no , its just in the way really

seems a shame to throw it away , but i dont know if people collect that kinda thing plus its broken

Quote by SteveR View Post
    It appears to be a 19th century earthenware jug wth slip attached rope and medallian clay adornments. I believe that it is hand built rather than wheel thrown. It has been hand dipped in a lowfire glaze either tin or lead base. It certainly has seen hard service in its day. An attractive primitive piece of pottery. That is all I can say without a hands on inspection.
    SteveR
    My hat to you steve.
    Super super discription.

Chris

?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    My hat to you steve.
    Super super discription.

Chris
    Masters degree in ceramic science.
    SteveR