Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles

Article about: Up and out before sunrise this morning to a local tractor/farm sortout, some good finds, the best being of all things this group of RAF flying items, all from a clear out of a barn recently.

Default Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles

Up and out before sunrise this morning to a local tractor/farm sortout, some good finds, the best being of all things this group of RAF flying items, all from a clear out of a barn recently. The 1930 pattern helmet is named to Grp Capt Ellerton, dated 1931, AM marked, modified with the leather ear zipped cups (these are stamped 22C also), gloves have no labels or marks that I can see, goggles marked AM 22C/62 347652/34.
    Regards Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles   Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles  

Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles   Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles  

It could possibly be this chap. Became a G/C in 1938.

A S Ellerton_P

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very nice set of prewar stuff, the gauntlets are very nice. Everything looks a little dry and dusty. The goggles are nice find, Mk IIIA's, these were rapidly disused by operational pilots after 1939 as the cellophane lenses melted really easily and cause terrible eye injuries. after 1939 they were predominantly issued to students. I agree that needs attribution is probably correct, right age and rank to correspond to this material.

Thankyou for your replies gentlemen, attached picture show the entire mornings haul ! Does anyone recognise the long handled entrenching tool, dated 1945 and I think a WD arrow.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles   Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles  

The castoring wheels are interesting, could be Mossie tail wheels or Venom or Vampire nose wheels, they certainly appear to be D.H. The tool is a mattock.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think Ned has got it yet again, i was watching a documentary about De Havilland Vampires recently and the nose wheel looks very similar!..

Again thankyou for replies, especially about the Miles Mentor Ned, I've just cleaned the wheels and the larger one has AH2282 (Stirling appartently on google) and the smaller is marked AH1019, but nothing comes up for that one, any ideas ?

Early RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles  

Hmmm....The Short Stirling had a twin tail wheel unit as shown below. Maybe the hubs are the same, but i'm not so sure. Perhaps they were also used on other types or someone may have their wires crossed somewhere?

Early RAF Flying Helmet & GogglesEarly RAF Flying Helmet & Goggles

Could the smaller one be AH10191? If it is, it's Mosquito.

Quote by iramsden View Post
    Could the smaller one be AH10191? If it is, it's Mosquito.
    I reckon you're right. Hence my polite and tactful 'wires crossed' comment, for which i'm universally renowned....

Not.