Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Article about: Hi All. Not found in a barn but floating in a marina. RNY Croft is based on a standard 40' Navel Pinnace hull, constructed in Burmese Teak. Commissioned in 1939 she is unusual in that she wa

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View Forward, Unlike hull planking, transom is larch I believe and will require replacement/repair. Aft cabin is again clad in ply with Teak underneath.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Double doors in Wheelhouse Bulkhead leading aft to small 2 berth Cabin.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

2 views of wheelhouse interior looking forward. Original Bronze steering gear fully functional, view through Teak doors into Day Cabin.
    Last edited by MickyFinn; 07-08-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View Forward through Day Cabin, Galley to Starboard and Heads to Port, Engine room further forward still through more Teak doors. second picture shows what appears to be original layout of furniture to Starboard and marks on deck suggest same layout to Port.
    Last edited by MickyFinn; 07-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View Aft of Day Cabin and doors to Wheelhouse. I have here removed one section of interior ply to expose original superstructure showing very large window cut out.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

And of course, the Throne room.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View Forward from Galley area into Engine room showing none original Ford 4D Diesel engine, fitted with Parsons Fan cooled gearbox. Despite it's age the engine starts every time.
    Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View showing long range tanks fitted to port and Starboard.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View forward with BSA generator set to Starboard which also still runs.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

View Aft from bow showing small fwd cabin with single berth, This area has only 4ft of headroom, The central pillar is a compression post supporting the deck stepped main mast which carries a gaff sail. Steps are also cut into this beam to allow access to deck hatch overhead. This area of the boat has steel angle deck beams, reputedly to take extra weight of a deck mounted machine gun.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Looking fwd from engine room into small single berth cabin.

A nice restoration project that will keep you busy for a while I really like the original bronze steering assembly!

There may be some history of the boat under the layers of hull paint.

Good luck also with the further research which I hope provides evidence that the boat played its part at Dunkirk.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

Ex Dunkirk Little Ship?

And finally, External views as she is today. First jobs are to assess the condition of her structure with a view to getting her lifted out of the water in the next few weeks, the main danger being that without the support of the water she may simply collapse and crush in the slings. In an attempt to prevent this we shall fit internal bracing before the lift. Once ashore the main work of jacking the superstructure up and replacing the Carlins and repairing the beam shelf can be contemplated. I will continue to post progress reports as we go. Fingers crossed.

She looks like a lovely boat Micky, just allowed to go a bit to seed unfortunately. I'm sure the restoration and re fitting will be prohibative and lengthy, but admire your will and wish you all the best in your endeavours as she's definitely worth saving, 'little ship' or not!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast