Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn-Sykes WWII Dagger

Article about: I found this dagger with some stuff in my Grandfathers storage. I believe that it is a Fairbairn -Sykes WWII Dagger. I dont know if its a FSFK-70 or 71 (or somthing else) Pictures are not gr

Mark Gerick
    ?

Default Fairbairn-Sykes WWII Dagger

I found this dagger with some stuff in my Grandfathers storage. I believe that it is a Fairbairn -Sykes WWII Dagger. I dont know if its a FSFK-70 or 71 (or somthing else) Pictures are not great, but has a brass handle w/ a rounded pommel nut. Doesn't look machined. Has a brass (coppery) handle, that was probably Black @ one time. (it has started to turn a little green in a few spots) The crossguard has Sheffield (above) England @ rear of guard. No other identification. Can someone give me a little insight as to what it may be, if Im incorrect. Also, will cleaning it up ruin any value it may have? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Best regards!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fairbairn-Sykes WWII Dagger   Fairbairn-Sykes WWII Dagger  

Fairbairn-Sykes WWII Dagger  

?

Default Re: Fairbairn-Sykes WWII Dagger

Quote by Mark Gerick View Post
    I found this dagger with some stuff in my Grandfathers storage. I believe that it is a Fairbairn -Sykes WWII Dagger. I dont know if its a FSFK-70 or 71 (or somthing else) Pictures are not great, but has a brass handle w/ a rounded pommel nut. Doesn't look machined. Has a brass (coppery) handle, that was probably Black @ one time. (it has started to turn a little green in a few spots) The crossguard has Sheffield (above) England @ rear of guard. No other identification. Can someone give me a little insight as to what it may be, if Im incorrect. Also, will cleaning it up ruin any value it may have? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Best regards!!
    Hi Mark and welcome, DO NOT CLEAN IT, There are many reference books available about these knives and many knowledge collectors who can tell you in five minutes flat what you have. I'll leave to the experts to chip in

Third pattern FS, but if there is no broad-arrow or mould number, and if you can see the casting lines on each side of the hilt (at right angles to the rings) you probably have a post-war knife. The "Sheffield England" may mean that it was prepared for export to North America early post-war.

A lot of Sheffield cutlers made these knives and soon began to sign them. This looks like a good oldie, but modern copies are now being made in South Africa, Pakistan, etc.

As Napalm says, there are some good books (and websites) out there, and better pictures might allow us to say more.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Pat

?

From what i can see with these photos and provided the blade doesnt have a covering of light rust, it appears to have a blackened blade if so no attempt should be made to clean it, but as already stated, much clearer photos are needed and of every detail in close focus, also is there a scabbard with this knife, i believe there was a previous thread on here some months ago with a number of different FS knives and the more informed members made comments on each