Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Quote by packin9 View Post
    That sure is one heck of a productive salvage yard! Fantastic luck! Hope it keeps up. Ron
    Thank you very much! It seems too good to be true, but it is! I feel fantasticly lucky!

I just started actively looking for militaria at our facility this summer. It boggles my mind... I am sure a lot of other militaria treasures have passed through our facility unseen in the past 6yrs that we've been open.

You'd be amazed what people throw out. We've found locked safes filled with coin collections, cases of liquor from the 1950s, brand new power tools... and the most intimate personal documents you can imagine (both financial and sexual...). Objects certainly DO NOT disappear when you throw them out in the garbage... KEEP THAT IN MIND AND INVEST IN A DOCUMENT SHREDDER!

I was given a LONG WW1 German bayonet with saw-back and a reelect FDR campaign poster yesterday. I'll post pictures ASAP. The poster is folded multiple times and the folds are crooked, but they're BOTH in AWESOME shape!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I was given a LONG WW1 German bayonet with saw-back and a reelect FDR campaign poster yesterday. I'll post pictures ASAP. The poster is folded multiple times and the folds are crooked, but they're BOTH in AWESOME shape!
    Can't wait to see! I love those Engineer bayonets.
    Are you going to frame the poster?

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Can't wait to see! I love those Engineer bayonets.
    Are you going to frame the poster?
    Here are some low quality pics I took with my cellphone. I'll post high quality pics when I return home (currently at the girlfriends).

The stripe pattern of her bed sheets makes it hard to see the teeth:

I put it ontop of a cardboard box for better contrast so I could take this pic:

The bayo is marked V.C. Schilling Suhl. It has the Kaiser mark "W" with a crown over it, and a year of 13 along with some other small stampings on the blade.

Yes! I do plan to frame the poster. I think it would be an excellent addition AND would fit nicely into the void on the wall above my helmets.

Any idea what the bayo and poster are worth?!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post

Any idea what the bayo and poster are worth?!
    Nice poster!

As for the value of the bayonet, I'd say $150.00 if the bluing is mostly there. But, I don't know if it is a rare maker, so that could be a major factor. If you had the leather frog, that would add to the overall value. How is the condition?

Not bad, for being free and all.

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Nice poster!

As for the value of the bayonet, I'd say $150.00 if the bluing is mostly there. But, I don't know if it is a rare maker, so that could be a major factor. If you had the leather frog, that would add to the overall value. How is the condition?

Not bad, for being free and all.
    Here is the story behind the bayonet and poster: An elderly couple came into our facility after conducting a yard sale. They wanted to dump some odd objects that didn't sell. They weighed in, dumped, and then weighed out and came to the office to pay. They saw the sign I posted asking for helmets and militaria and we had a conversation about how I'm a history teacher and I love to share historical objects with my class.

The couple told me that they had the poster and bayonet up for sale, but obviously they didn't sell. They had them in their car, but they luckily they decided not to dump them.

The man told me that during WW2 he was in the Boy Scouts. His troop went on a "mission to hunt for scrap metal for the war effort" and he found the bayonet. He thinks a WW1 vet gave it to him to melt down for the war effort because he didn't have the heart to hold onto a "Hun knife while the U.S. was fighting against the Nazis." He said he thought the bayonet was neat and decided to hold onto the bayonet instead of turning it in to be melted down. He said it was sitting in the crawl space under the stairs in the family house ever since.

The woman said she won the poster in a school spelling-bee. She said she was so excited to win the poster because at the time, she thought FDR was the only president EVER!

I loved the stories behind these two finds! I felt so happy and honored about them giving my the bayonet and poster, that I offered to pay for their dump fee... I told them it was the least I could do. The dump fee ended up being exactly $11 and they were thrilled.

The bayonet has some rust, but I think it really is in awesome shape considering it's almost 100yrs old. The wood panels on the grip are especially in awesome condition. I promise to post HD macro pictures and make a dedicated thread for the bayo later today (I'll also post pics of the union bug on the poster for I.D.).

My eyes literally popped out of my skull when I pulled the bayonet out of the scabbard and saw the saw-back. I have heard so many stories about these things being rare and that German soldiers were executed on the spot if they were captured with these barbaric weapons!

Here are better pictures of the bayonet... It's so MEAN looking! I'm still in shock over this find.

Please let me know if more pictures are necessary!

A German WW1 sawback bayo would be worth $300+ here (and our dollar is worth more than the US one currently)-I gather that there must be many people who know very little about militaria in your part of the world if some of the objects you have collected were being thrown away (after not being sold at a garage sale!). You're in a very lucky position to rescue it all.

Just found this group of items!

The pouch has an ink stamp on the front that says: "Kameradenhiffe"? There is an oval logo ink stamp on the back that says "DRAHOMA." It looks like it once held bandages or maybe a sewing kit? WW1 German?

Medals seem to be WW1... French and German.

The dogtag reads: "Jack J. Green. 32417496. T44. O.C."

The stamps and coins all seem to be WW2 era. One german reichmark, a bunch of french francs. Chinese Yuan bill is from 1936.

The medal with narrow red stripes on the ribbon reads: "croix du bombattant."

The medal with bold red, black, and white stripes on the ribbon says: "1914-1918"

The oval medal is German... it says: "Kriegerkameradshaft Hassia" The back says: A.D. SCWERDT(I think a letter is covered). MEDAILLEN MUNZE GRAVIR PRAGE UND GALVANOPLASTISCHE ANSTALT STUTTGART. The dangling metal part is ripped.

All the items were stuffed into the little pouch.
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 08-22-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    A German WW1 sawback bayo would be worth $300+ here (and our dollar is worth more than the US one currently)-I gather that there must be many people who know very little about militaria in your part of the world if some of the objects you have collected were being thrown away (after not being sold at a garage sale!). You're in a very lucky position to rescue it all.
    Thanks for your advice on the bayonet.

To be honest, think it's just that the World War 2 generation is fading more and more each day. Unfortunately, people are not going through their possessions (whether it be that they're too sad to look through a loved ones things, or too lazy, or they hired a company and the employees aren't being paid to look through boxes,etc.), and whatever isn't obviously valuable when they're loading up a dump truck is just thrown out.

For example: There's large corporation called GOTJUNK. When someone requires their services, they drive a truck over to a house. The person who ordered their service tells them which rooms to clean out, and the workers do just that. Time is money, so they obviously do not go through boxes, etc. They just load up a truck and bring it to us for processing.

Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast