MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

love this thread

I wish I find what you find in the garbage, all I ever find is a vietnam helmet and ammo boxes. - Nick K

Quote by michael77 View Post
    love this thread

Quote by nkumburis View Post
    I wish I find what you find in the garbage, all I ever find is a vietnam helmet and ammo boxes. - Nick K
    Thanks for the kind words, guys! I am having so much fun with this... I come into work feeling excited every day because I never know what I'll find...

Unfortunately, school starts after labor day... so back to teaching history for me!

THIS JUST CAME IN!

Early war front seam, fixed bale. No liner. Chinstrap is present, but one end is where it attaches to the bale is frayed. Bales are nice and sturdy. There are four dents in this lid... one in the front left right above the forehead, one ontop of the crown, two to the back of the helmet.

The entire helmet and chin strap are covered in like wax or something... kind of gross to handle.

Helmet doesn't have ANY markings EXCEPT "W5741" scratched into the inside of the helmet just above the neck. Anyone have any idea what it means?

Anyway... lol I'm psyched to have found this!

Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 09-02-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Here are some better pictures of the wax-covered (cosmoline-covered?) front seam, fixed bale that I found two days ago:

Looks like someone used this for target practice... OR, the G.I. who originally wore this was very lucky during combat, but suffered multiple, severe headaches during the course of the war. Either way, it looks SO salty and I love it!

The wax... or cosmoline... or whatever this stuff is kind of disgusting to touch... makes my hands feel greasy and sort of smells like WD-40. Should I remove this gunk? If so, does anyone have any tips on how to remove it?

AND here is a rear seam, swivel bale I found yesterday! Inside there is a heat stamp (?) that says: 737

FINALLY! Here is the HOLY GRAIL OF MILITARIA!

In mint, unopened condition!

Sorry, forgot to mention! Can anyone offer a value on my latest finds?

Are you kidding me?! Gizmo8z-LOL! Dude, you seem to find a new helmet every week! Hope you made out alright during Irene. No power here for 5 days. I was itching to make a purchase or 5. Too bad no helmets floated by my house.

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Are you kidding me?! Gizmo8z-LOL! Dude, you seem to find a new helmet every week! Hope you made out alright during Irene. No power here for 5 days. I was itching to make a purchase or 5. Too bad no helmets floated by my house.
    I kid you NOT! I know it seems too good to be true, but I assure you it is real! I don't know if I told you guys this, but I'm still living at home until I can find a more stable teaching job/ pay off a chunk of the mountain that is my student loans. My parent's are starting to get annoyed with the DOZENS of helmets I have floating around in my room now.

The other day a customer dropped off a few dozen issues of "Our Navy" from just after WW2. He also gave me some Army Corp. of Engineer maps in a giant orange tube... I guess the magazines and maps belonged to a WW2 Marine vet that lived in an apartment that the customer rented out. When the vet passed away, the customer didn't have the heart to throw the stuff away, so he was thrilled to give it to me! I'll have to post pictures of that stuff soon.

We got hit pretty hard by Irene. Luckily, our home escaped damage. At our facility, the place where people dump their trash, our office, and the places where we sell mulch, topsoil and item 4 are on high ground, so we didn't have a problems with those areas. Unfortunately, we had 3-4ft of water in and around our garage where we service our large trucks. Truck #9 was up to the top of it's tires in water. The golf cart that my dad uses around the facility (he has bad knees) was totally under water... and our utility pickup truck was also underwater. Here you can see our utility pickup truck in the background. The cigar chomping fellow is my father:

You must be in Westchester of further upstate with that flooding. Damn! I'm glad you got some new goods from a client.

If someone shot at the first helmet, it would have been with a BB gun only-steel helmets aren't bulletproof-only intended to protect against falling debris from nearby explosions-if you want to get rid of the cosmolene try Ballistol spray-not a petrochemical product, won't damage the paint.

Page 8 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast