Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 122 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Exactly, I'd sure as hell be happy to get those for free! I'm impressed at the quantity of militaria that comes your way, it's a little crazy!

Mat
    It's not a little crazy, it's VERY crazy!

I'm surprised that nobody has been skeptical... I give you my word that it is TRUE! I wish you guys could come out and see our operation!

When customers come in to give me militaria, I've noticed that the older gentlemen donate it to me, while the younger fellows want to sell. A customer told me he would bring me some "good stuff" tomorrow, but he said: "Make you sure have CASH!" So we'll see...

Your a lucky guy! To have such awesome pieces of history handed to you would be incredible!

If I ever work out how to convey just how jealous I am, I'll let you know... I might be some time!

You must be excited to go to work each day, with the treasures that keep turning up!

Mat

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    If I ever work out how to convey just how jealous I am, I'll let you know... I might be some time!

You must be excited to go to work each day, with the treasures that keep turning up!

Mat
    No need to be jealous! I'm not trying to compete with you guys. I'm just trying to save it. I make it available to my students, and I post everything I find here!

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Can you scan them, most combination printers have a scanner function and its surprising what detail can be picked out when the scan is enlarged. I'd like to see the photos of Detmold, that was an army air corps base in the 1970's
    Here you go!

We have a facility near us that is similar, it used to be council owned and you could buiy things like old bicycles, furniture etc then it went private and for a while things stayed the same then one day you could no longer buy things and everything went to the groundfill or scrapyard, the only exceptions are that a container a week is filled with bric a brac and sold on to a local trader family that then sells stuff on the weekly flea market.
    Most of what they get is tat(rubbish) but on occassion they do have the odd good thing.
    Now I sort of know a guy who works there at ther 'tip'(and no he can't get anything I asked several times) and he and others there have very little if any idea what the value of stuff that goes through there! A few months ago I had to drop by and they were throwing a 1950's English built lightweight racing bicycle in the scrap steel skip, they wouldn't let me buy it for spares...it appeared to be a ladies 531 tubed Jack Taylor tourer with all period components and seeming to need no more than new tyres...value around £300-500...scrap value about £1.00!!!
    I have since stopped going there as it saddens me so much, I really hate to think what militaria has gone through there in the past and currently!

?

If you ever find you've too many helmets and you're eager to pass any on... give me a shout!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    A customer told me he would bring me some "good stuff" tomorrow, but he said: "Make you sure have CASH!" So we'll see...
    I'm working the morning shift as we speak...

That customer came in, but apologized and said that because of the weather we're expecting (up to a foot of snow tonight into tomorrow!) he was too busy to put together the stuff. He gave me his contact info and promised to bring it next time.

He said he has tons of bandoleers, ammo belts and pouches, and 2 USA M1 helmets and one WW1 broadie helmet (he said it was painted light blue?). He said one of the US M1 helmets has a regular, hard fiberglass liner, while the other has a very light weight liner... he described it as: "almost like cardboard, but with a cloth covering." Could it be a Hawley liner?!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I'm working the morning shift as we speak...

That customer came in, but apologized and said that because of the weather we're expecting (up to a foot of snow tonight into tomorrow!) he was too busy to put together the stuff. He gave me his contact info and promised to bring it next time.

He said he has tons of bandoleers, ammo belts and pouches, and 2 USA M1 helmets and one WW1 broadie helmet (he said it was painted light blue?). He said one of the US M1 helmets has a regular, hard fiberglass liner, while the other has a very light weight liner... he described it as: "almost like cardboard, but with a cloth covering." Could it be a Hawley liner?!
    Interesting! Can't wait to see what he brings in.

Dear Friends,

I have a favor to ask. Mods, if this is against the rules, please let me know!

Facebook has contacted our recycling facility, and has told us that they will provide us with benefits if we can increase the traffic on the Recycle Depot Facebook page. I think we need ~150 more "likes" by the end of November.

In a nutshell, if we reach our goal, they will offer us free advertising. Directly, this will help our business. Indirectly, I hope this will increase the amount of militaria that I can save!

I am asking you fine ladies and gentlemen to "LIKE" Recycle Depot from Poughkeepsie, NY on Facebook. Thanks for your time and consideration!

Best,
    Joe Trocino

Page 25 of 122 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 ... LastLast