MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 42 of 122 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Joe I need a 1931 dated semi relic size 64 German helmet liner (with date stamp on the leather if you please), if you could rub your lamp that'd be great

Awesome again man, I'm amazed these two went through your annihilator unscathed. If the only objective of that place was to uncover militaria, it could probably still make money

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Joe I need a 1931 dated semi relic size 64 German helmet liner (with date stamp on the leather if you please), if you could rub your lamp that'd be great

Awesome again man, I'm amazed these two went through your annihilator unscathed. If the only objective of that place was to uncover militaria, it could probably still make money
    The lamp has been rubbed! SIM SIM HALLABIM! I realize how extremely luck I've been ... this is amazing and I am humbled.

Thanks for the kind words! I keep on telling my dad that we need to open a junk shop to sell all of the things we pick out.

I am keeping my eyes open for some things for other members. I will be sure to add your helmet liner to the list!

You'd be surprised by what makes it through the grinder unscathed! The grinder is set to break down large pieces of debris into pieces about the size of a handful. Often, smaller things like these medal boxes make it through perfectly fine unless they directly come in contact with one of the grinder's teeth.
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 04-03-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Hey Joe, find me a Luftwaffe helmet.

?

Joe, this is becoming a habit and one that you cant control, its like a monster waiting in the shadows, i think you should let me take some of the awful burden off your shoulders before you are consumed wholly lol

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Hey Joe, find me a Luftwaffe helmet.
    On it!

Quote by davejb View Post
    Joe, this is becoming a habit and one that you cant control, its like a monster waiting in the shadows, i think you should let me take some of the awful burden off your shoulders before you are consumed wholly lol
    Hello... My name is Joe and I have a problem...

I sometimes think to your "greatest generation" and to the sacrifice and pain she went through...
    We are really living in a comsuption and leisure society,with no consideration for the sufferings of our ancestors.
    What will it look like when all the Vets will be gone?
    Glad you are here to survey Gizmo...

?

Well said.
    The lack of interest/care for the past is actually scary.

?

Nice finds Joe, very nice

I would like a British battledress and a nice Reichspost cap please.

Cheers, Pat

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    No names or numbers. Can someone confirm that they were WWII vintage?
    Freaking me out with all these great finds.........!

Joe, WWII PH's were issued up until the Vietnam War, however, I believe that these
    are likely are WWII manufactured sets. They should have what is called a
    'slot brooch' - the riboons go through slots at the top of the pin plates.
    There should also be thread sewn onto the sides of these plates
    to hold the ribbons on.

The newer type have a 'crimp brooch' where the ribbons are pressed onto
    a pin-back bar attachment, and the ribbons are not sewn.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    I sometimes think to your "greatest generation" and to the sacrifice and pain she went through...
    We are really living in a comsuption and leisure society,with no consideration for the sufferings of our ancestors.
    What will it look like when all the Vets will be gone?
    Glad you are here to survey Gizmo...
    Quote by Scout View Post
    Well said.
    The lack of interest/care for the past is actually scary.
    Thanks for the responses, Seb and Scout! I feel the same way. When customers come into our facility, they stop at my window to declare the contents of their load. I always ask if they have things we are not allowed to take: "food garbage, chemicals, hazardous, flamable, nuclear waste, or Osama bin Laden's head, etc " I can't tell you how many times I've heard: "No... grandpa/dad/relative/friend passed away, so we are just cleaning out the basement/attic/garage..."

I don't mean to be insensitive, but when I hear responses like this, I always ask if they have military stuff. They must think I'm talking about illegal weapons to dump, so they laugh, but then I explain that I teach high school history and use this stuff in my hands-on lessons, and that I collect this stuff and am trying to save it from being destroyed.

Some customers say: "Have you ever seen Pawn Stars or Combat Cash?! That stuff's valuable! I wouldn't give you that if I had it!!"

Of course there are customers who say: "I have my grandfathers/fathers/ relatives items from WWII, but it means a lot to the family... so I could never get rid of it. I'd love for you to borrow them and show your students!"

But you would be surprised by how many customers say: "I have this old helmet/ medal/ dusty doo-hickey laying around in the garage... I'll bring it over to you! You can just have it... I'm glad I found someone that will appreciate it!" Two customers come to mind... one has a distant relative who was in "The Lost Batallion" and he is going to give me some documents. Another customer's father was a pilot during the war. She wants to bring me his flying/ parachute harness and his air mask.

And then finally, there is the stuff that comes mixed in with loads of garbage. A lot of times this stuff is packed away in boxes and bags and it goes unseen. This is the stuff that runs the risk of going through the grinder...

It is alarming that this stuff is being thrown out... I agree! It does show that current generations are forgetting what the Greatest Generation is accomplished. With that being said, I hope that this stuff is not being thrown out on purpose! I try to hold onto stuff I find for as long as possible just in case someone can prove that it was thrown out on accident and they come forward to claim it.

I was also thinking about this from a collectors point of view. As the WWII generation passes away (Let's face it... unfortunately they won't be around for much longer ), our market will be flooded with their uniforms, trinkets, battlefield souvenirs, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the market gets flooded and the price of militaria in general goes down.
    Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    Nice finds Joe, very nice

I would like a British battledress and a nice Reichspost cap please.

Cheers, Pat
    For some reason I think those will be harder to find, but you got it! I'll keep an eye out!!

Page 42 of 122 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 ... LastLast