Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 65 of 122 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 115 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Quote by rabbitface View Post
    well hurry up then joe,cant wait to read this

I am picking up a new memory card for my camera in about 15mins. I will post what I have typed up so far along with pictures of each page. You can choose to either read what I've transcribed, or read it from the hand of 2nd Lt. Kane himself!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
    A diary in the garbage!!!!!
    My heart cries!!!!Thank you Gizmo8z,but the shame on the one that throwed it where you picked it up,shame on him,for all his life long.

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!
    A diary in the garbage!!!!!
    My heart cries!!!!Thank you Gizmo8z,but the shame on the one that throwed it where you picked it up,shame on him,for all his life long.
    Here is the thread I made for the diary. I have decided to only post a few pages at a time so it's easier for people to follow.

The Complete War Diary of 2nd Lt. John J. Kane Jr. B24 Bombardier in the Pacific

Customer gladly handed this over to me today! He also gave me a 48 star flag on a wooden stick!

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Here is a pic of the flag. I put it in the corner and forgot it in the office last night

Finds in the GARBAGE!

The stars and stripes are screen printed onto the fabric. The flag itself is held to the pole by little finishing nails. The finial at the top of the pole is painted gold and has some paint loss due to age, and the pole itself is branded twice: J.W. BOGARDUS.

Now you can start collecting WW1 Victory medals-an interesting field in itself as every country issued different variations.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Now you can start collecting WW1 Victory medals-an interesting field in itself as every country issued different variations.
    Sorry for the late reply! After the new forum update, I haven't been receiving notification when new posts are made in his thread!

This will be the second WWI Victory medal. The first was inside of a WWI Dough Boy helmet that I got from a special education teacher at the high school I work at. I may off load this one to help fund my Italy trip.
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 06-21-2012 at 06:59 PM.

I might as well make an update... Things have been VERY busy here at the recycling facility and I am completely done with work at the high school for the summer. As such, I will be spending most of my time here and you can expect updates as I find items.

Yesterday and today have been EXTRMELY hot. In fact, yesterday a customer had heat stroke and my coaches first-aide training kicked in. We helped revive him and kept him calm while the Ambulance was in route.

ALSO... Note to self: If someone says there's a helmet in the scrap heap... FLIP FLOPS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE FOOTWEAR FOR SEARCHING THRU THE PILE!
    Finds in the GARBAGE!

I AM AN IDIOT! It wasn't even a military helmet... just a beat up cooking pot.

One of the many nicknames for this type of footwear here in Oz is 'Japanese safety boots'.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    One of the many nicknames for this type of footwear here in Oz is 'Japanese safety boots'.
    I work in the office most of the time now, so I can get away with flip flops. I had boots in my car... but stupid me didn't want to put them on because of how damn hot it is here.

For those of you who are interested in the amazing diary that I got from the trash, I finally completed transcribing it.

You can read the complete diary here:

The Complete War Diary of 2nd Lt. John J. Kane Jr. B24 Bombardier in the Pacific

Page 65 of 122 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 115 ... LastLast