Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 93 of 122 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 103 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Actually....the wartime era 1943 World Series on a Film may well be very Collectable and I imagine many sports fans would be quite desirous to Own it.....
    Thanks, Steve! I started to realize that when I searched on the Internet and only found VHS and DVD copies... Pretty cool! If anyone could help with a value on this, I'd appreciate it!!

I was still hoping it would be the lost D Day footage! Lol

I agree - Many sports/baseball fans would likely
    be interested in it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the link! This intro/ title is exactly what I saw when I held the first foot or so of the film up to the light:

Finds in the GARBAGE!

I didn't want to damage the film, so I didn't unreel too much.

?

Hi Joe , looks like you got a nice piece of historic archive film there, but a word of warning , old film stock like this is prone to severe deterioration and can be highly flammable i think you should take it an archivist whe is used to preserving old film, and until then dont unroll the film , cheers Dave

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hi Joe , looks like you got a nice piece of historic archive film there, but a word of warning , old film stock like this is prone to severe deterioration and can be highly flammable i think you should take it an archivist whe is used to preserving old film, and until then dont unroll the film , cheers Dave
    Oh boy... So this isn't safe to keep in my house? I just unrolled about a foot or so to see what was on the film. It's now back in it's tin.

?

Joe , its safe enough provided its not exposed to heat or naked flame , i think this type of film was made from cellulose which burn furiously , i think it can also crumble if not stored properly thats why i suggested a film archivist

You scared me, Dave!

I'll do my best to contact some people tomorrow to find out exactly what I have here. If it ends up being something amazingly rare and desirable, the baseball hall of fame is right here in New York.

Generally, unless you toss it into the fireplace, your film reel is fine and safe. But, they do deteriorate, as Dave said. They've opened film reels in the Hollywood archive vaults and found nothing but fine dust. Some classic films are only known-if at all, in some cases-from poor quality copies. Films of people like the Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields, etc have been forever lost this way and are only known from old movie posters. Celluloid films get brittle and fragile over time and break and crumble easily, so touch it as little as worldly possible and get it into a film lab and see about what they can do for and with it. At the very least, you should have some disks run off of it by them and you should be able to sell them handily on places like eBay.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Here's a close up of the yard long unit photo that was found in the trash. If anyone could help with identification I'd really appreciate it!

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Joe is there a date on this picture??? My Dad was a Drill Instructor there during the war. He was one of the NCO's they kept for training troops. He is not in the picture that I can see. He passed away in 1986 so he couldn't tell me about it. In 1975 we visited Ft. McClellan. ( It is now a WAC base) It was quite interesting to see him remember where things were. My mother and father could live off base . Mother worked in the Ordnance plant there. Dad was able to take a jeep off base once in a while and go to the boarding house where they lived. The base commander liked him, so he could do these things. Mom use to cook a lot of k rations she said .

John
    Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Here's a close up of the yard long unit photo that was found in the trash. If anyone could help with identification I'd really appreciate it!

Finds in the GARBAGE!
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 93 of 122 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 103 ... LastLast