Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 95 of 122 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Lol - I think I found one for mine off Ebay. I have also seen
    single ones for sale from time to time - They are not
    really expensive - buck or two.

Do you go to militaria shows ? I sometimes see
    them there. If I find one I can send it
    your way.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I was at a show this past wkend with Newbie from WRF. Of course I didn't have these practice grenades at the time, so I wasn't looking. :P

No need to fuss over me, Steve. I'll contact a seller on ebay and see if they have any lose rings for sale.

I don't mind - I still owe you.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

No worries, Steve.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    A customer dropped these off for me today! I'm not at the recycling facility today, so I'm posting the pic my sister sent me.

Can anyone take a stab at identifying them?

Attachment 331187
    i have about 10 of these that were found in Crete! So i guess they are 40mm Bofors shells! Look for an eagle in the base on them! It is rather rare to find such marks on a Bofor shell but back then was common to use Allied ammo in German guns!

Joe-do you have a National film archive in the US? -they might be interested although it sounds as if copies of this news reel aren't all that rare-if no one 'official' is interested I dare say you could sell it online to a collector who would value and care for it and perhaps help fund something that you're more interested in.

As to the practice grenades, anything that was meant for training in the British army would be painted in a good high viz colour like yellow, red or light blue so you could tell it was a training aid (not go BOOM!) and also so you could easily find it again after throwing it.

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    i have about 10 of these that were found in Crete! So i guess they are 40mm Bofors shells! Look for an eagle in the base on them! It is rather rare to find such marks on a Bofor shell but back then was common to use Allied ammo in German guns!
    Crew of a 40mm quad antiaircraft machine gun mount loading clips into the loaders of the left pair of guns. Taken on 6 March 1945, during the Iwo Jima operation. The man at the right is Seaman Second Class Richard Roberts, and the gun captain (in the phone talker's helmet) is Gunner's Mate Second Class Glenn F. Groff.

looks like the same shells these guys are using
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds in the GARBAGE!   Finds in the GARBAGE!  

Quote by battle gear View Post
    Crew of a 40mm quad antiaircraft machine gun mount loading clips into the loaders of the left pair of guns. Taken on 6 March 1945, during the Iwo Jima operation. The man at the right is Seaman Second Class Richard Roberts, and the gun captain (in the phone talker's helmet) is Gunner's Mate Second Class Glenn F. Groff.

looks like the same shells these guys are using
    I'm sure these are the same shells!

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Joe-do you have a National film archive in the US? -they might be interested although it sounds as if copies of this news reel aren't all that rare-if no one 'official' is interested I dare say you could sell it online to a collector who would value and care for it and perhaps help fund something that you're more interested in.

As to the practice grenades, anything that was meant for training in the British army would be painted in a good high viz colour like yellow, red or light blue so you could tell it was a training aid (not go BOOM!) and also so you could easily find it again after throwing it.
    Hi lithgow,

Every indication that I'm receiving is that the film reel IS rare, just that museums already have at least one copy of it and that there is not a huge collectors market for it. The general consensus is: "Who has a 16mm projector and the proper facilities to store/ preserve the film anymore?" I may just roll the dice and stick it on ebay...

For the grenade, my practice WWII U.S. grenade that actually has the spring loaded spoon IS painted baby blue. I'm thinking that these cast practice grenades weren't a huge priority to save or that they used them in controlled environments where they could be easily found.

Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!

?

Very cool find you hardly see training ordinance now a days

Page 95 of 122 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast