Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 97 of 122 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 ... LastLast

Finds in the GARBAGE!

Article about: There is a thread about a member restoring US canteen. Taking dents outs. just look for it or a member will chim in about it.

Default Re: Finds in the GARBAGE!

Also, It appears to be German. These were quite popular souvenirs as they were a handy size to pop in your pack

Here are some better shots of the pewter Iwo Jima flag raising statue:

Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!

?

What a shame that was found in the trash!!!! Great job saving It Joe!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Also, It appears to be German. These were quite popular souvenirs as they were a handy size to pop in your pack
    I am assuming these 37mm shells were used in a field gun?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    What a shame that was found in the trash!!!! Great job saving It Joe!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    My pleasure.

?

Post # 808

The picture is of Kim Novak, so late fifties through the sixties.
    Regards,
    John

Joe, regards your baseball film, have you thought about contacting a historical society? Maybe a vintage film society might be interested too... Or maybe try some of the military museums over here in the UK if you can't find a suitable home for it over your side of the pond? It sounds ike just the sort of thing that would have been sent over for the GIs posted here prior to the run-up to D-day.

I've been in contact with a few historical societies and the consensus is that the film is a cool item, but hard to display and preserve.

I contacted Mr. Ewing at Rare Sports Films and he said my reel contains not only the baseball highlight (which runs about 25mins) but at least one/ possibly two or more additional films. He thinks the additional film(s) could either be other sports highlights or military training films... Until I track down a 16mm projector and competant projectionist the additional films are a mystery!

Good luck A film society or archive should have the kit needed to watch that reel. Am kinda curious to find out what else is on it - from what I've read, some of the military training / instructions stuff can be entertaining. IIRC they had some on personal hygiene...

This was plucked out of the pile today:

Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!Finds in the GARBAGE!

Page 97 of 122 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 ... LastLast