Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found old swords in a Auction lot.

Article about: As William states, the Turkish blade is the only one of any interest or value. 'Second' usually refers to an item of inferior quality, but it is still the nicest of the lot.........

Default Found old swords in a Auction lot.

Can someone help me ID these swords?

Found old swords in a Auction lot.Found old swords in a Auction lot.Found old swords in a Auction lot.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found old swords in a Auction lot.  

Default Re: Found old swords in a Auction lot.

The top two look like movie props or those display repo knives, the top one is a dagger the second one is a poor looking roman short sword, and the final i don't know. The quality of all three is rather poor so i would not say they are important, local knives

The bottom one is a 19th century Ottoman Yataghan. The other two I am not sure, but I would guess they are both middle eastern origin as well, probably mid 19th century to early 20th century.

Corey

Thanks for the info!

The first two are India made of recent manufacture, IMO, within the last 20-30 years
    or so - knives and daggers such as this are available commercially in great numbers.
    The bottom one is a type of Turkish Yataghan as described, but was likely
    made for the tourist trade.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I suspected the same. The Yatagahn is stamped "second"...

The top one is well made, brass and decent wood handle. Do you know what era this would be designed after?

Only the bottom one is of any interest. It is, as has been said, an 19th century Indo-Persian Yatagan or "a Khyber Knife" as they are also known. The grip is likely made of buffalo horn. Valuewise, it would sell from a dealer at somewhere around $100-150...sometimes abit more on a good day. It is, of course, fairly poorly made and likely sold on the tourist market as Steve said. The middle knife looks like a fairly modern era wide bladed Kindjal type of knife, judging by the grip shape. I would not value it very high, as it was likely made for tourist export. The top one looks to me, anyway, like a modern fantasy type of dagger loosely based on a martial arts chabang or tjabang style fighting dagger. Neither it or the middle one have much nominal value.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The top two do look very much like props. Perhaps, being in southern California they are props. Now, to find out what movie they were used in.

I suppose the first one could also have been designed to look
    like a renaissance or medieval dagger.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 08-04-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I really found the right forum to find out stuff about these Daggers. Thanks Everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast