Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FS? or Post war copy?

Article about: Hello Gents I found this in my oddments box the other day and have been wondering about it for a while, It was found about 10 years ago in some removed topsoil on the Hilton depot site on th

Reg
    ?

Default FS? or Post war copy?

Hello Gents

I found this in my oddments box the other day and have been wondering about it for a while, It was found about 10 years ago in some removed topsoil on the Hilton depot site on the Derbys/Staffs border, its mostly houses now but the site was used in ww2 (my grandmother lived on a next door farm and her sister had many liasions with the GI's posted at the site, though she always remembers it with a twinkle in her eye too) the site was used until the early 80s as a transport depot and then for many years by civilians.

There are no clear markings on it except for a cross keys design near the hilt and a "D" beneth a star. It seems poorly made, badly weighted and has an odd nut holding it together which makes me wonder if it is actually a postwar nick-nack. I think the blade was originaly black painted, but I used wire wool to try and "restore" it. Doh .

Anyway, would be interesing to know a bit more and for certain.

Gentlemen...over to you....

Cheers
    Reg

Sorry for usual poor pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS? or Post war copy?   FS? or Post war copy?  

Default Re: FS? or Post war copy?

Alright Reg!,

The knife is made by John Nowill & Sons of Sheffield. They have produced this F-S model since the war up until today. The knife is likely private purchase as no crowsfoot is present.

It's not possible to put a date of manufacture on the knife, but i can tell you that it's made by a top manufacturer. The fact that it was found on a military site points to it being a private purchase by a serving soldier, and not exclusively special forces! Many troops purchased them.

These days the knives are unmarked, so as to be 'sterile', but are still carried in certain regiments Quarter Masters Stores. Here's my Nowill which was given to me unissued by a mate of mine who served in 1 Para until they disbanded.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS? or Post war copy?  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Reg
    ?

Blimey Ned, thats great thanks!

Much obliged for that.

Reg

Nice knives.

Here is a picture of a ww11 F&S knife I have. They were made for the resistance movements in occupied Europe, I have also read they were supplied to auxiliaries in the home guard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FS? or Post war copy?   FS? or Post war copy?