Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

how about a closet

Article about: about 2 weeks ago my wife and her grandmother were cleaning out the grandmothers house for a garage sale. and ran across some items her grandfather brought back from the ww2. 2 german dagger

welder
    ?

Default Re: how about a closet

Hi JPhilip,
    thanks,
    i really like reading and learning about this time in history.
    since we have started to do research on these items , my wife has learned more about her grandfather.
    again thanks.
    tim m.

Tom2
    ?

In Ohio also? Well be careful about selling those, especially the P.08. I am afraid some dealers may try to low ball you on it. Do not believe any stories about anything very negative if they try to talk down the value of it. It may not be a rare variation or anything but decent vet bringbacks that are all matching are desireable in the market and can easily bring four figures, depending on condition. If you have documents referring to the pistol such as papers that go with, and any details about the unit of the person that captured it, dates, locations etc. that is added value versus merely anonymous relics. I don't know where you are at, but I got to warn you that there are some dealers, not necessarily collectors, that will try to get stuff from poor old widows for next to nothing. All the items are nice and have notable value in the US market. Perhaps you can compare the knives or binoculars to online sales(sometimes high prices) or ebay to get a feel for retail value. Consider condition when comparing items and prices, however.

?

very nice, if you are intrested in selling the gun let me know.
    sam

?

Very interesting!

welder
    ?

thanks tom2,
    we have already found out about dealers who would like to rip her off . we took 4 of the items to a dealer here and the rip off these guys tried basically let us know that we had some good items.

sam11 ,
    the gun will be sold along with the other items as a group. all items were taken from the same german solider. we are trying to get with the right people to connect all items to the same german soldier (if that is even possible ), that is what my wifes grandfather told the family when he came back with these items.
    tim m.

Tom2
    ?

Luger Tips book says that a 41 byf is a basic part of a collection(not super rare) and also associates it with SS/Gestapo in the note. But if you think it came from a regular army soldier, it does not apparently have that association. Too bad no holster. Adds value and maybe a clue to usage too. I would think it is a thousand dollar gun perhaps( I could be out of date with that!), at retail. You could go to gunbroker or one of the gun auction sites to maybe get a rough idea of value if others with that exact code are listed. The maker and the codes and dates have a pretty large effect on values, as well as condition and provenance. You say you can find out who or where it came from? Get it in writing or write it down. I guess the original US owner is gone so you have no first hand account and stories can change a little in 60+years. I see that happen alot, someone will have a story that is totally inconsistent with what the item appears to be. Word of mouth and time and seperation does that. You should not expect to get anything like the retail or fair market value from a dealer, they don't sell stuff for what they have in it, usually! Not and stay in business. So a collector or the like is more likely to get you close to a fair market value. I would imagine a dealer would want to make a couple hundred profit perhaps, just to make his business stay afloat. He cannot really sell it for more than what you might get from a collector, himself. So expect some low ball bids but would not accept anything really low. That is just reality of the market. Any accessories or information you can add with it might add to the sale price. You might see if you can sell it on one of the firearms auction sites. But there is still the issue of sales fees from that and other bothers so perhaps you could find a local buyer. Good Luck.

?

ok, and good luck with finding the right people.
    sam.

?

I've been saying it for years!

Everyone should talk to there dad or grandpa NOW, if there still living. We need bring these things out in the open, show the relics, hear the stories and record them, before it's too late.

neil

?

Those are some great items you got there, very interesting story to. Thanks for posting.

Fantastic items, I wonder how many more are still in boxes all over the world waiting to be discovered. I know the feeling, I've recently came across my Great Grandfathers service booklet from the First World War.

Thanks

Danny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.