Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I can't figure out what this is...

Article about: What size are the holes? Ignore this just seen theres a page 2

Default Re: I can't figure out what this is...

Share the pictures with a friend; someone has to know what this really is. Thanks William.

?

Kirby I spent over an hour last night searching this cartridge holder out on google and could find no exact match I do beleive Steve and William to be correct that this is probably not military as it should have a cover and the versions I did see were mostly incased in leather .Was your Grandfather by chance a hunter ? This is a very nice item and it would appear to be hand crafted to me .

Regards Mark K

Mark

Both dad and grandpa liked to hunt. I was thinking maybe hunting, but we also found lots of WW1 era stuff in the attic also. That is why I decided to try a forum for both hunting and military equipment. So far, both have not turned up definite clues. I will keep trying though. About the google search; I tried the same thing for hours to see if I could find a match. Either I am not using the right set of key words, or I have something very obscure? Thanks for taking the time to help me though. If I ever figure it out, I will post the answer. Kirby

Like Walkwolf suggested, I think it's a catridge box missing it's leather cover/flap, or maybe it was designed to fit into a leather pouch?

What is the diameter of the holes? Perhaps that might give some clue as to the calibre of the weapon

Rob

?

I as well tried multiple search variations and found my best results when I keyed in the words <photos of wood cartridge holder> good luck with your search if you find out more let us know it is an intresting piece. And I am shur we would all be intrested to see what other WW1 items that you found in the attic if you are willing to share them with us.

Regards Mark K

Thanks Rob,

Each hole is 7/16".

We donated a lot to a museum a few years ago. He was not actually in the war - he served on the home defense police.

Quote by Kirby Hoke View Post
    Thanks Rob,

Each hole is 7/16".
    So that would be approximately 0.4375", so what are we looking at? Perhaps an older rifle using something from .40 to .44 calibre?

.405 Winchester is possible

Rob

?

Ive got an idea it could be for a martini henry rifle

the Martini used the heavy shouldered 450/577 boxer round....these look too slim to fit it. I'm still leaning towards the paper powder tubes for the muskets, but this is just guesswork on my part. It is reminiscent of the Indian muskets where they had to bite the end of the greased paper tube off and pour the powder down the bores before ramming the lead ball down after it. It just Looks like something you would use for situations like wartime where you would need as many powder charges on easy hand as quickly as possible.... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast