Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.

Article about: Very nice key

Default Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.

This morse key was recovered by my grandfather from a destroyed Japanese ship in the Florida Islands, near Guadalcanal, of the Solomon Islands, South Pacific late 42 early 43. He was a radio, and later radar mechanic on the RNZAF Catalina flying boats that operated there. Sadly he did not tell me the name of the ship. If anyone knows what the writing indicates in English, I would be pleased to know. Cheers all. Mike. New Zealand.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.   Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.  

Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.   Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.  

Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.  

Default Re: Japanese Morse key: Found in Grandfathers attic.

I can't help with the writing I'm afraid but it is a fantastic item.

Have you tried sending a picture to the Japanese embassy or similar organisation ?

Steve T

A fantastic item indeed! Thanks for showing.

Regards

Thats Awesome! Have you got it figured out yet?Can I share it with friends to see if I can get it translated?

You are very welcome to share these pics with friends Luther, as long as you tell me what you find out. I know roughly where the ship or boat must have been as I know exactly where my grandfather was situated at that time. I have also appoached many Japanese sources but they don't seem very willing to share info about this. My latest approach has been to the Yokohama WII Japanese Radio Museum.com, a Mr Takaski DOI but no reply from him either ! Being a WW2 gun collector only, I have no knowledge of Japanese Radio items but I suspect, if we can get it translated, that it will be the name of the manufacturer, not the ship. Any help would be welcome. Cheers, Mike, N.Z.

Great,i'll see if I can get it figured out and let you know.I tried to learn Japanese online to read it but I gave up way too hard.

Where was your Grandfather? you might like my family stuff from New Zealand.

My handed down WWII RNZAF Collection

Grandfather was at Honiara, Guadalcanal, Savo, Tulagi, Halavo Bay, Florida Islands. And all places in between ! 43-44. Mike.

Here you go buddy

[IMG][/IMG]

Many Thanks. Mike.

morsegirl
    ?

Hello Mike. I am sorry i cannot answer your Q though i will send pix to my JA friends and see if they can translate for you. I have a Q for you or others: what is a Japanese morse key 'brand/type' from world war time? My friend and i collect (and use) morse keys, would like to add a classic Japanese morse key to collection...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast