Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kar98k Receiver

Article about: Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like a receiver from a typical Kar98k? Another thing that my great-uncle gave me, remnant of the Lapland War. Would electrolysis be the best way to clean the s

Default Kar98k Receiver

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems like a receiver from a typical Kar98k? Another thing that my great-uncle gave me, remnant of the Lapland War.

Would electrolysis be the best way to clean the surface rust off?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kar98k Receiver   Kar98k Receiver  

Kar98k Receiver   Kar98k Receiver  

Lightbulb

It certainly looks like a standard K98k receiver / bolt assembly ( all the characteristics are present eg the two gas ports and - I assume - a 'cranked' bolt handle ). As for cleaning, everyone seems to have their own preference ; I haven't used electrolysis so can't comment. I have used an organic de-rusting solution ( 'Deox-C' ) on a G43 receiver which spent 65 years in a field and the results were highly satisfactory.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    It certainly looks like a standard K98k receiver / bolt assembly ( all the characteristics are present eg the two gas ports and - I assume - a 'cranked' bolt handle ). As for cleaning, everyone seems to have their own preference ; I haven't used electrolysis so can't comment. I have used an organic de-rusting solution ( 'Deox-C' ) on a G43 receiver which spent 65 years in a field and the results were highly satisfactory.
    Thanks! That sounds good and I'll probably go with that as electrolysis seems a little complicated to me and I don't want to kill myself or ruin anything . The receiver seems to have twisted somehow, as the rear sights are downturned.

Its a nice relic. The rear sight is mounted on a tubular sleeve which looks as though it has rotated, rather than the receiver actually being twisted. If you clean it up you might well be able to twist the sight round into the correct position again.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Its a nice relic. The rear sight is mounted on a tubular sleeve which looks as though it has rotated, rather than the receiver actually being twisted. If you clean it up you might well be able to twist the sight round into the correct position again.
    Thanks! I thought of the same thing. I'll try to twist it back around after cleaning it. Should display nicely then .

?

Nice piece. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

You could easily put together and display a complete 98k as original parts are cheap and plentiful...
    cheers, Glenn

It would be interesting to see who made it? I'm guessing late war, dot 1944? Could be anything really, so just a wag...

Lightbulb

Good point - it could be a late-war one, although it's difficult to tell from the photo. The identification point is the rear or the cocking piece : early-production ones were rebated, whereas later examples weren't......

SRB
    ?

for cleaning just soak in vinegar and a little salt.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast