Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Machine gun belt from Normandy

Article about: The casings were probably fired, but there is also a hole drilled in every case. Every case says 65, but the letters change on some.

?

Default re: Machine gun belt from Normandy

The casings were probably fired, but there is also a hole drilled in every case. Every case says 65, but the letters change on some.

Quote by Broods View Post
    I did a few "then and now" pctures, unintentionally. But it's pretty neat I think.

Defenses along the juno beach sea wall
    Attachment 252787Attachment 252786

Omaha view
    Attachment 252785Attachment 252784

House at Juno beach... People live here!
    Attachment 252788Attachment 252789

and a couple randoms
    Attachment 252793Attachment 252792Attachment 252791Attachment 252790Attachment 252794

What really caught my attenetion was that the wood inside the german bunkers still looked brand new. I'm just happy I even got the chance to go there.
    Cool pics!

Default Re: Machine gun belt from Normandy

Hi....I really feel for you. I am an Australian and spent years looking at photos of the things that could still be found in Normandy...drooling. Then, in 1980 I came on a brief trip to Normandy and, just like you, I rushed into the fields searching and found nothing. SO disappointing. Moved to England in 1984 and spent many hours on the fields of WW1 and found tons of stuff, but I still hankered after Normandy. Visited there lots and started to find a few things..German 2cm cases, 7,92 rounds, 30-06 rounds etc. Then I discovered a place where there was a lot of stuff...grenades, mines, belts of ammo, fired Sherman cases etc. Took a lot home for my collection and cleaned it all up. Lovely. Now I live in Normandy and have the time to do a lot of research which is the only way to have success in finding things. Yes, the boot fairs are great here and there are so many things to find at them, but you really can't beat finding something yourself. I have found a Luger, a P 38 pistol. 8,8 cm Flak and Tiger rounds, 8,8 cm King Tiger rounds, Pak 40, KwK 40, IG 18, le FH 18 etc etc. Some are VERY dangerous and I leave them well alone..... generally I rebury them very deep. It is not east to find stuff but time and patience do pay off. The thing to bear in mind of course is that it is STRICTLY against the law to dig or pick up anything. In fact to have a rifle empty cartridge case on you is against the law...even though you may have just bought it from a boot stall. Depends how the police feel at the time !!! Crazy system. If you are ever here again I can show you where to look but there really are no guarantees you will find anything. The soil is constantly shifting. The great place I spoke of has yielded nothing more since the first time I was there, even though there was still more I could see buried. If you need any advice, please ask. Always pleased to give any help I can, because I know how frustrating it is. Take care

Default Re: Machine gun belt from Normandy

Quote by flak 18 View Post
    Some are VERY dangerous and I leave them well alone..... generally I rebury them very deep.
    im pretty sure thats "stupid" isn't the idea that if you find something dangerous you don't just put it back for some other poor bugger to step on and get blown up you phone the bomb squads (plenty of them) and they defuse it. if a vehicle goes over an unexploded ordanace the vibrations can set it (past experiece) no matter how far you bury it don't be so stupid
    sorry if i sound rude but im preatty sure others would say the same thing

tom

?

Good point Tom , the authorities in France and Flanders are still well versed in the recovery of live munitions having been clearing stuff since the end of WW1 !! Not sure why with such a system in place live stuff is being reburied which suggests it was dug out in the first place not brought up by a farmers plough etc which is often the case , i know many who will leave it in a location where it can be easily seen and picked up then ring the Munitions guys and tell them the location etc
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

oh yeah and i forgot in my small rant broods very nice photos love the way you put war time ones next to modern always looks good to me thanks for sharing

tom

Hallo...no, I don't think you are being rude, just incredibly naive. Imagine the scenario. I have just used my detector to uncover a German grenade with the fuse hanging off. I ring the authorities ( who are not very keen to come out at all ) and tell them where I am. They arrive... first question..What are you doing with a metal detector ? (strictly against the law, not just frowned on as the other post suggests ) Second question.. What else do you have in your bag ? ( instant confiscation ) Third question.. Let's go to your house for a little look at your collection. ( no matter if everything is totally inert, as mine all is, it will be confiscated and you will be jailed ). As I said, even 1 fired rifle cartridge case will render you liable for prosecution, so you can imagine what they would do if they saw a whole bunch of 88's, even though they are totally inert. The second post suggesting that I remove the dangerous object to another location for later inerting beggars belief. Would you pick up a German grenade with the fuse hanging off and move it ? How about a fired 10,5 cm Spreng projectile ? No, and neither will I. I operate by the tenet " if I am unsure about it I don't touch it " The law here is incredibly severe. Most collectors are very wary who they show their objects to and I know just why. I posted my first comments to the guy in Canada because I felt so very sorry for him. Didn't really expect to stir up a hornets nest of obviously well intentioned, but out of touch collectors.

what? where did i say move the object that would be stupid by out of touch collectors is absoulte crap a fair few memebers on her are ex or currectly serving in the forces im preaty sure that pauls idea of maybe leave it then phone up is a lot smarter than just leaving if someone left every ied they found in afghan instead of defusing it there would be a hell of a lot more deaths the last point i make about this is you obviously think you collection is worth than maybe a childs life who might get blown up i would advise you to start doing what paul above said and if you find a live one phone up but from where you won't be seen (its quite simple)

tom

Hallo again...does not Paul say to put it where it can be easily found by the bomb disposal people..... eg..move it ??? What has Afghanistan to do with this topic ? Of course ied's must be dealt with on the spot but please don't try for the moral high ground by talking about children's lives. To move it to a more easily found spot would put lives at risk, yes, even children's. To rebury it so it no longer sees the light of day seems to me to be the obvious and much more sensible choice. I agree that it would be much better to inform the authorities and have everything all safe and cosy but you really must grasp reality. Life is not a bowl of roses and sometimes decisions have to be made that are contrary to the opinions of the moralists out there. Perhaps it would be even better to make battlefield digging outlawed altogether ???? So, I am not suggesting the guys in the Forces are out of date, they have a job to do, same as I had when I served with the EOD.. and they do it well in awful conditions. Just take note of current laws and do the best you can.

but paul doesn't say to move it he is saying to leave it in a spot that can be seen and then phone up the authorities so that it is quick and simple and that they don't have to take ages in finding it i said about afghanistan because it is very similar and is an example i mention children because they are the "inquisitive child" they are going to pick it up and play whereas an adult is not. this is the part that annoys me a bit "inform the authorities and have everything all safe and cosy but you really must grasp reality. Life is not a bowl of roses and sometimes decisions have to be made that are contrary to the opinions of the moralists out there" life sure as hell isn't a bowl of roses "shit happens" but you can damn well make it as cosy as you can for others isn't the idea that the adults make the world a safer place for there children and then the children make it a safer place for there children etc
    if you worked in the EOD wouldn't that make you a bit more knowledgeable in explosives? (not to take stupid risks) but to make smart ones

tom

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast