Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Metal Scabbard Drag?

Article about: Hi all. This item was not found by me but came in a box of metal detecting finds that I purchased for the bullets and musket balls. It looks to me like the bottom of a leather scabbard (I th

Default Metal Scabbard Drag?

Hi all. This item was not found by me but came in a box of metal detecting finds that I purchased for the bullets and musket balls. It looks to me like the bottom of a leather scabbard (I think its called a drag?). I realise that this may be out of the collecting interests of many here but any opinions as to whether it is what I think and/ or what it is from would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Oh and the dimensions are approx 3in in length and approx 2in at the widest point at the top.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal Scabbard Drag?   Metal Scabbard Drag?  

Metal Scabbard Drag?  

?

To me it probably would be more for a bayonet scabbard rather than a sword scabbard. I do not have a clue as to which one or what country.

That, me old fruitbat, is an example of a squashed old pewter candle snuffer sans handle. Here's a few others, that although slightly different, give you the idea.

Regards, Wee Willie Ned.

Metal Scabbard Drag?Metal Scabbard Drag?Metal Scabbard Drag?Metal Scabbard Drag?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ah nuts! Looks like your right Ned (as per usual!). Oh well, gotta keep trying to think outside the box

Ned strikes again!...

You need to stop burning the candle at both ends....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    You need to stop burning the candle at both ends....
    This is getting on my wick now!...

Quote by big ned View Post
    That, me old fruitbat, is an example of a squashed old pewter candle snuffer sans handle. Here's a few others, that although slightly different, give you the idea.

Regards, Wee Willie Ned.

Metal Scabbard Drag?Metal Scabbard Drag?Metal Scabbard Drag?Metal Scabbard Drag?
    lol nice Ned im impressed :P

The metal tip of mixed construction leather/metal scabbards is called a 'chape', the metal end the bayo slides into is called a 'locket'.

I bet it was in there to be used for casting more bullets?? I use melted down pewter items all the time to add tin to my bullet alloy. Makes them cast much better