Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MKIII British Army Compass

Article about: Hi Guys, here is an item which is fresh from a garage this weekend. It comes from a neighbour of my parents. It is now resides in my collection The lady who discovered it knows I collect and

Default MKIII British Army Compass

Hi Guys, here is an item which is fresh from a garage this weekend. It comes from a neighbour of my parents. It is now resides in my collection The lady who discovered it knows I collect and took it around to my Mum. I believe it was her Uncle's during WW2 and he was a driver in the Army. Tomorrow I will go around to say thank you and see if I can add some more details.

The compass is not in full working order. But a friend of mine works for the MOD in this department

The black paint finish has been deliberatly removed, as is common, in order to "bull it up" and shine the brass.

It is maker marked "TG Co Ltd London" (Thomas GLAUSER) and is dated 1942.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKIII British Army Compass   MKIII British Army Compass  

MKIII British Army Compass  

Default Re: MKIII British Army Compass

Ade,

I like these cause you could still turn these up now and again in the G1098 stores. I had a plod pal who had about 10-15 all war time, he 'rescued' from destruction arround 10years ago. RMP are worse than the rest of us ever were!

Jock

Ade,

Got this on ebay believe it or not. I like damaged stuff, I hope who ever it was walked away. Sadly with the bay we will never know!

Regards.

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MKIII British Army Compass   MKIII British Army Compass  

MKIII British Army Compass   MKIII British Army Compass  

Hi Jock, that is a really interesting item which tells a story. I like it too.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade & Jock , nice items for different reasons . Nice to see the comparison between the paint and the stripped brass one . I wonder if that was a lucky charm Jock , i hope so , it looks fantastic ,

cheers Al

Al,

It came from Germany, pure guess work, may be something picked up early war by a German in battle for France based purely on the date of it?

Jock

sub boy
    ?

i acquired an identical compass in working order and no damage to paint ser.number is B8990 dated 1939...i dont think I want to `bull it up`. Just keep as is I think.

Super find, Ade!!!! How much of a pain in the backside would it be to get it working again?

tgone
    ?

I also have a genuine 1944 marching Compas Ser # B 276588.
    In almost new condition and the alcohol still inside with just a small air bubble. Still works perfectly an very accutrate

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Al,

It came from Germany, pure guess work, may be something picked up early war by a German in battle for France based purely on the date of it?

Jock
    Jock, I think that I can see two WD arrows facing each other on your compass, if that is the case then this is the way the WD put a reject mark to any bit of kit that was no longer servicible and was struck off the QM stores, John.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast