Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Article about: Hi Guys, this trailer was found on a farm in Scotland in 1993. I bought it. This is my trailers known history. The trailer that you see before you was especially designed for use by the Airb

Default Re: My 1944 British Airborne trailer

Wow! An airborne field kitchen! can you please post a photo of what you do have? I am intrigued! I have not seen one of these that I know of...Cheers
    Paul

Quote by radek View Post
    Here are pictures of my tyre.

Svenn, it looks realy that this 3 holes are for bakelite switch. I thing only how is possible use the switch is put it on the outside.
    Radek
    radek thank you for your help already! Do you know the proper tire size? I thought I saw it on here but can't find it now.... Cheers
    Paul

?

Quote by Oldcontemptible View Post
    radek thank you for your help already! Do you know the proper tire size? I thought I saw it on here but can't find it now.... Cheers
    Paul
    look on the first page of this treed My 1944 British Airborne trailer there is picture of my original tire. The size is the same asi on the jeeps 6,00-16

?

Hi Paul, I would love to post some pictures but I don't know how, however if you can email me direct on 1ab.recce@googlemail.com I will send you some and tell you what I know so far. Or if you can explain to me in idiot language how to post I will.

Regards Louis

?

Tyre size varied a bit but they all used the 16" rim. I've seen early references to them being 5.00-5.25 sized. The 6.00 size was officially for the binned trailer and the water tank trailer.

Paul, did you get your trailer from Lance? If not, where did it originate from? Just curious since they don't turn up over here in North America very often.

David - Lance sold his trailer to a guy in St Louis. I imported mine out of the Netherlands. I am curious how you affixed your bench?
    Paul

?

Hey Paul,

The bench rests on heavy wooden forms that are bolted through the outer skin at each end. They are cut so part wedges up underneath the upper folded edge of the wall at the top. I got my trailer from Peter here in Texas a long time ago when he sourced a later second pattern. This one had the supports installed when he got it from somewhere in the UK, he left them and so did I. I'd read Normandy accounts of some airborne trailers having a bench seat so troops could ride above the trailer load but had never actually seen one. But good photos are pretty scarce for most details as it is so not a surprise.

I don't know the history of this trailer but it was pretty rotten. Peter replaced the lower floor and parts of the lower side walls. I only patched up some of the earlier restoration and painted it. Never did get around to installing all of the fittings that were lost with the original floor until a week ago when I tore everything down to finally get it done. Would be nice to know if the bench supports in this case were wartime or added in the postwar years by either the British or a foreign military. Need to find a few others and then possibly figure out what was similar in their history and features. I’ll leave it either way since I have the supports and holes through both walls which would be a pain to fill up. I’ll also leave the tongue and groove floor that I build when I first got the trailer back in the late 1990s. It isn’t correct but prevents things from falling through to the metal sub-floor and they support a greater load. That’s at least easy enough for me or someone later on to replace when ever desired.

In terms of the current rebuild I'm doing, the plan is to complete the wiring and placement of the accessories where they are supposed to go. Everything is now welded onto the lower side of the floor. And I'm rebuilding the shocks while I wait for my springs, axle bar, tow handles, wheels and airborne pattern rims to come back from being sandblasted. Then an updated paint scheme since nothing has been done to the trailer since 2002 when we had it at the MVPA national convention in Dallas. I’ll post shots of everything once its complete in around a month if we have decent weather for painting by then.

Attached shot shows the original bench supports since they are pulled out right now. Would be interested in seeing what your trailer looks like if it has landed in the USA now. Also particularly interested in seeing the data plate if you have an original .

Hi Guys- It took my trailer a couple days to clear Customs and UPS then accidentally sent it to the wrong city...However it arrived this AM. I am pretty happy with it. Of course the condition is a little worse than had been relayed by the seller but, I have already have set to work on it. If I can figure out how to post pics I will do so. no data plates or numbers visible. no holes for a bench. No original markings visible. The tires are old British tires but not wartime that I can tell. Size is 5.75x16. I know I will need both supporting legs and pins and also a flood lamp and junction box. I think I have everything else to finish it. can anyone help with these items? Since the 1949 manual has not surfaced can anyone possibly post what properly mounts to the interior walls or how the wood floor is properly laid out? Much appreciated!!! David your trailer is gorgeous. I can't wait to see it after your redo!

Paul

My 1944 British Airborne trailerMy 1944 British Airborne trailerIsold an Airborne generator trailer to a person from Bristol and he sent me some pictures of his airborne kitchen trailer that he had bought in Holland, enjoy, John.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast