Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks

Article about: My grandfather served in Desert Storm as a truck driver when he was in his 50s. Now he is in his early 80s and hes starting to slow down. Every day my dad and I go over to his property and d

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    John... your grandfather did more than his share for his country, and you are justifiably proud of him. Make sure that you get all his tales of his military service out of him before he is no longer around to tell you, and then you can pass on his stories to your kids and help to keep his memory alive.

Cheers,
    Steve
    So true, it is a duty!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John,

A nice collection of items that your grandfather was able to obtain. It was not surprising to hear that your grandfather served at a later age as a truck driver.. There were many National Guard and Army Reserve units that had to pull members from the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) in order to meet the requirements to mobilize and deploy. I was an advisor to a transportation company in New Mexico that was unique in that it was a transportation company but it hauled bulk petroleum products in 5000 gallon tankers.. Many of the members were over 40 years of age, but they had a particular skill set that the Army was lacking and they (the Army) needed qualified truck drivers to haul supplies and fuel for the units fighting the fight (1st Armored Division, 3rd Armored Cav, 2nd Armored Division, etc.. Many members of that Army Reserve Company were parted out to various units and many did not see each other again until after the war and when they were preparing to redeploy and demobilize...

Ironically this same transportation company was mobilized for the second gulf war and once again many of the original members of the unit were once again deployed and the unit was also augmented with many other Soldiers from other units due to their truck driving skills... This unit has now deactivated and the colors have been retired..

I can only echo what others have said to make sure you get as much information from your G-father in order to retain the history of his contributions for your family.

See if you can determine what transportation company he was assigned to and perhaps there was an after action report documented that could be obtained..

Smitty

Wow John, that really makes me feel old, I served during the first gulf war (albeit down a bunker on home soil)!! I was only 17 so still have a little catching up to do with your Grandfather! What a superb group of bring backs, treasure them and their history and make sure your kids know what went into them being in their home. Brilliant. Leon.

Heres more stuff we found yesterday.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks   My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks  

My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks   My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks  

My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks   My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks  

My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks  

Love it! Leon.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    I can only echo what others have said to make sure you get as much information from your G-father in order to retain the history of his contributions for your family.
    See if you can determine what transportation company he was assigned to and perhaps there was an after action report documented that could be obtained..
    Thank you Smitty! All I know is that he was in the 172nd Transportation Company.

He loves telling the stories of his friend "Willy Lunch-Meat". He said that guy didn't have a care in the world. When they went bunker hunting for souvenirs Willy always volunteered to go first in case of any booby traps. Willy knew my Grandfather had a big family with 6 children. My favorite story is when they were driving Willy would hunt for road signs. When they would find one, Willy would jump out, run up to the sign, and tag it "Willy Lunch-Meat was here".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandfathers Gulf War Iraqi Bringbacks  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2