Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The "mystery box"

Article about: Dear friends. Once again I turn to your expert knowledge to identify a find. Unfortunately one I could not take home with me but nevertheless I would love to know what this was (and eventual

?

Question The "mystery box"

Dear friends.
    Once again I turn to your expert knowledge to identify a find. Unfortunately one I could not take home with me but nevertheless I would love to know what this was (and eventually I could go back and "pick it up"...).

This Summer whilst beachcombing on a greek island I came across this box (dimensions approx. 50x40x20cm). I don't know if it floated and washed ashore or had tumbled down the hill along the coastline.
    I'm pretty sure it was an ammo box but it was thickly encrusted with rust, the buckles would either resist trying to open it, or break attempting it. And not beign sure what could be inside I just took some pictures of it.

Any hints and/or ideas what it was?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "mystery box"  

Default Re: The "mystery box"

I dont know what it is but i would have had to of got that lid off to have a look.

I have no idea what it might have/still contains. However my gut feeling about this is that it is some sort of container for ammunition/mortar rounds/grenades/explosives. I'm thinking this because of its construction and it appears to be divided up into sections inside by looking at the bottom. From handling it would you say by the weight that it might still have something in it or not? Anyway you made the right choice by leaving it where it is until you can find out what it is for sure nothing in this field is worth risking your life over

Thanks and I'm looking forward to see what it contains

Danny

i had once a similar box and it was for glass mines, but i have no picture of it as i sold it 5 years ago, mine had writing on it something like vorsicht glass nicht werfen explosiv but not shure if it was in this order

?

Ok thank you all for the responses.
    I'm afraid I will dissappoint all of you curious to see what's inside because I don't think I will try to open it. If I can find it again (which I very much doubt...) I'll stick to my original decision to leave it alone :-)
    Hope to find something "less potentialy dangerous" the next time to share with you.

Cheers

?

Bumping up this thread of mine with an update.

So I went back this year to check if the box was still there but it was gone.
    And since I didn;t hear or read anything in the news about a terrible accident with an exploding box of WW2 ammo I guess the sea claimed the box back or someone more risky than me took the box home...

So in this case maybe no news are good news ;-)

On a Greek theme................it may have been pandoras box !

Might be full of gold bars.

I would so open that sucker.