Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy Panther munition cases

Article about: Nice boxes but also pretty huge ones. I sold one similar box recently for 120 euro. These boxes are pretty rare but also hard to sell because there are not too many collectors of such items.

Default Normandy Panther munition cases

I found them last year in Normandy in a farm of one of my friend.I was told they were for a German Panther tank.I would like to know if they are rare and what their value is also if they are really from a panther.The farm was next to Bayeux.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy Panther munition cases   Normandy Panther munition cases  

Default Re: Normandy Panther munition cases

According to the Picattinny Arsenal Dictionary of Explosives, ammunition and weapons German section (1958) the boxes contained ammunition for a 7.5 cm Tank gun and a 7.5 cm Assault Gun 42. Sprgr means they were HE or high explosive shells. The dictionary is a must have reference.

Just in case that response was not clear - whoever said this was for a Panther was correct. Kw K 42 is a tank gun. Apparently, the ammo was also used with assault armor like the Stug. Nice find. Probably uncommon.

Neil Hever :great info would you know the value by chance.

Not shure on the Value but this is one piece that i think i would keep for my self.

Alex

?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Just in case that response was not clear - whoever said this was for a Panther was correct. Kw K 42 is a tank gun. Apparently, the ammo was also used with assault armor like the Stug. (...)
    Stuk 42 is SturmKanone 42 from Jagdpanzer IV L/70.

Nicely done on the last reference - this is correct! Value is subjective since these boxes don't show up a lot. The most common seem to be artillery shell boxes. Those sell in the range of $75 to $150. I would hazard a guess and say identifiable Panther and Jagdpanzer ammo boxes would sell for hundreds more.

?

Those are pretty cool and I'd agree it's surely worth quite a bit more than artillery or small arms ammunition transport crates. I've seen a couple of single-round crates for the big 8,8cm KwK/Pak 43, but never one (let alone two LOL) for the 7,5cm KwK/Pak/StuK 42.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you to everyone for all the info.

They are in the US now.
    chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast