Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old Dagger Found

Article about: I found a dagger that my great grandfather left in a box of stuff from the war, and I have asked around on other websites and all I have found is what the words say. " The first phrase

Default Old Dagger Found

I found a dagger that my great grandfather left in a box of stuff from the war, and I have asked around on other websites and all I have found is what the words say.
    "
    The first phrase is "Daeg taeg fateh" which means victory to "degh and tegh"; the second phrase is "bihrd kee paaej" or "protecting the honour or respect of the old or elderly" "and the third phrase is "Panth kee jeet" or "victory to the panth or 'followers of the righteous path'"

The word "degh" means "large cooking pot" or "cauldron" or an "offering". The word "tegh" means "sword" or "kirpan". The term "degh tegh" refers to the concept of "degh" which is the serving of food to the community as in respect of the Langar; and "tegh" which is the protecting the liberty and rights of each member within the community."
    It is a slogan from a common Sikh Prayer.

I know that Sikh helped the Allies, but they usually carried Kirpans (religious daggers with a curve) and this one isn't curved.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/0wRhD ( a few pictures of the knife, if more are needed I am willing to provide more.)

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum

We do not allow picture hosting sites as once the photos are removed, the thread becomes useless.

I've taken the liberty to upload the photos for the guys here to evaluate.

Wish I could help but not something I know about.

Old Dagger FoundOld Dagger FoundOld Dagger Found
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Welcome to the Forum. It's likely a souvenir.
    The design looks rather modern. Is there
    a scabbard.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Welcome to the Forum. It's likely a souvenir.
    The design looks rather modern. Is there
    a sheath.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Welcome to the Forum!

I have to agree with Steve - Looks to be a relatively modern Indian made knife. Most probably made for the tourist market some time after its independence in 1947.

Cheers and best regards!

There sadly is not, most of the stuff that was found didnt have any covers for them.

Quote by QualityX View Post
    There sadly is not, most of the stuff that was found didnt have any covers for them.
    I wouldn't worry too much - Most if not all edged weapons stamped 'India' or 'made in India' are tourist items and are not valuable. They are never of the same good quality that the US and UK produce.

Enjoy it for what it is a memento from your Great Grandpa! My Great Grandpa fought on French side on the Western Front during WWI, I WISH I had something he owned!

I would be interested in seeing what else came with it, any military items?

The very best!

There is a bayonet that we found with it, but too rusted to see any clear words or anything.