Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PIAT Barn Find!

Article about: by Screaming Eagle Amazing! Is all of that real? The guns are all real, although the automatics are all deactivated display-only pieces. The SS uniform is mostly reproduction, although there

Default Re: PIAT Barn Find!

If you still need a round for your Piat, J C Militaria have 4 Inert ww2 Piat rounds for sale. You can contact them through:-

JC Militaria | Military Collectables

Regards to all, Simon.

Reg
    ?

Nice PIAT Colorsergeant

Further to what is probably the most importaint PIAT shot of the war is the Victoria Cross won by Major Cain of the South Staffordshires at Arhnem using a PIAT, although the thing did actually blow him up at one point.

Here is the citation.

"War Office, 2nd November, 1944.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve awards of the VICTORIA CROSS to: —

Captain (temporary Major) Robert Henry Cain (129484), The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, (attd. The South Staffordshire Regiment) (I Airborne Division) (Salcombe, Devon).

In Holland on 19th September, 1944, Major Cain was commanding a rifle company of the South Staffordshire Regiment during the Battle of Arnhem when his company was cut off from the rest of the battalion and during the next six days was closely engaged with enemy tanks, self-propelled guns and infantry. The Germans made repeated attempts to break into the company position by infiltration and had they succeeded in doing so the whole situation of the Airborne Troops would have been jeopardised.

Major Cain, by his outstanding devotion to duty and remarkable powers of leadership, was to a large extent personally responsible for saving a vital sector from falling into the hands of the enemy.

On 20th September a Tiger tank approached the area held by his company and Major Cain went out alone to deal with it armed with a Piat. Taking up a position he held his fire until the tank was only 20 yards away when he opened up. The tank immediately halted and turned its guns on him, shooting away a corner of the house near where this officer was lying. Although wounded by machine gun bullets and falling masonry, Major Cain continued firing until he had scored several direct hits, immobilised the tank and supervised the bringing up of a 75 mm. howitzer which completely destroyed it. Only then would he consent to have his wounds dressed.

In the next morning this officer drove off three more tanks by the fearless use of his Piat, on each occasion leaving cover and taking up position in open ground with complete disregard for his personal safety.

During the following days, Major Cain was everywhere where danger threatened, moving amongst his men and encouraging them by his fearless example to hold out. He refused rest and medical attention in spite of the fact that his hearing had been seriously impaired because of a perforated eardrum and he was suffering from multiple wounds.

On the 25th September the enemy made a concerted attack on Major Cain's position, using self-propelled guns, flame throwers and infantry. By this time the last Piat had been put out of action and Major Cain was armed with only a light 2" mortar. However, by a skilful use of this weapon and his daring leadership of the few men still under his command, he completely demoralized the enemy who, after an engagement lasting more than three hours, withdrew in disorder.

Throughout the whole course of the Battle of Arnhem, Major Cain showed superb gallantry. His powers of endurance and leadership were the admiration of all his fellow officers and stories of his valour were being constantly exchanged amongst the troops. His coolness and courage under incessant fire could not be surpassed".

I think one or two other VCs were won with PIAT related actions, according to the celebrated weapons writer Ian V Hogg he felt a VC should have been awarded to a Sgt who bravely fired a PIAT from the hip.

As a modern postnote Major Cain is Jeremy Clarksons (BBC Top Gear)s father in law. Major Cain passed away in 1974.

Reg

sam steele
    ?

Hi Gents,

There were six recipients of the Victoria Cross who used the PIAT for their award, one of which was "Smokey" Smith, who was 30 FEET from a Panther tank when he knocked it out. He then submachine-gunned the troops who were riding on the outside of the tank!

My PIAT is presently for sale for $2700, so Adrian's estimate is close to the mark.

Cheers,

Bill from Canada
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PIAT Barn Find!   PIAT Barn Find!  

PIAT Barn Find!   PIAT Barn Find!  

sam steele
    ?

Sorry about the last pic - it looks brown, but the pic was taken in the sun. It's actually the original olive drab paint (under that yummy cosmoline!).

Ernest Alva "Smokey" Smith is a Canadian who passed away recently.

Cheers,

Bill

Last pic looks like a leg!! great shape and very nice item.

Quote by einflieger View Post
    Terrific item. I know of a gent here in the States that has TWO for sale! Is there anything illegal about owning this at all? Does anyone know if the Communist State of California has any laws prohibiting the owning of such an item?
    Any advice is welcomed! Thanks for sharing the photos.
    We finally received an answer from ATF on the PIAT. I have a letter from them saying that while the PIAT has been removed from the NFA weapons list, and does NOT require NFA registration or transfer tax, it IS still considered a Curio & Relic Firearm and must be transferred just like any other C&R rifle.

I have decided not to restore the PIAT at this time, but have just given it a general cleaning and added it to the British section of my collection as is (see photo). I was also able to find an inert PIAT round at a reasonable price to display with the launcher.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PIAT Barn Find!  

Quote by coloursergeant View Post
    We finally received an answer from ATF on the PIAT. I have a letter from them saying that while the PIAT has been removed from the NFA weapons list, and does NOT require NFA registration or transfer tax, it IS still considered a Curio & Relic Firearm and must be transferred just like any other C&R rifle.

I have decided not to restore the PIAT at this time, but have just given it a general cleaning and added it to the British section of my collection as is (see photo). I was also able to find an inert PIAT round at a reasonable price to display with the launcher.
    nice collection, can you show the others as well

Quote by klinger View Post
    nice collection, can you show the others as well
    Here are a few pics of some of the other WWII items in my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PIAT Barn Find!   PIAT Barn Find!  

PIAT Barn Find!  

Amazing!
    Is all of that real?

Amazing!
    Is all of that real?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast