Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pics : An Ardennes Barn.

Article about: As we've all heard those stories ( 'Got that Panther engine from a farmer in the Ardennes' 'That MP44 came from a barn in the Ardennes - been there for 70 years' etc ) I just thought it may

Wink Pics : An Ardennes Barn.

As we've all heard those stories ( 'Got that Panther engine from a farmer in the Ardennes' 'That MP44 came from a barn in the Ardennes - been there for 70 years' etc ) I just thought it may be amusing for members to see what an honest-to-gosh Ardennes barn actually looks like these days.

i should say that there are relatively few run-down barns left there ; the Ardennes ( at least, the picturesque bits ) is very much a 'second home/holiday home' area for businessmen so a lot of money is being spent renovating old buildings while old outbuildings are bulldozed. But last weekend my wife and I were walking near Stavelot ( we were over there for the La Gleize Show ) and actually found a real one.....

As we walked past the tumbledown shed in the middlle, I noticed shelves of old junk. The farm and its' dogs didn't look too welcoming, so I peered through my zoom lens and spotted the German kiste top left, either a GrW34 or 7.92 ammo box......

Anyhow, I was amused to actually see something there from WWII. OK, the perfect ending would be me buying the box off a grateful old farmer for 1 Euro and then an invitation to look at the Panzer IV buried deep in the woods, but......

..didn't happen !

I had to wait for the next day at La Gleize to buy some bits.

A shame these old barns are disappearing! They contain so much history and who knows what they have witnessed!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    A shame these old barns are disappearing! They contain so much history and who knows what they have witnessed!

Nick
    Probaby snowed in at the time Nick!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Martin did you take any photos of the show? as I wouldn't looking at them, having never been there "yet".. Cheers Terry.

?

Good thread. I really like it.

Quote by Tango View Post
    Martin did you take any photos of the show? as I wouldn't looking at them, having never been there "yet".. Cheers Terry.
    Yes - took quite a few......I'll put them in a dedicated thread.....

I have not ever trusted two descriptions: Barn find or vet bringback

Quote by paragon man View Post
    You must have a pretty thin collection then.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

My very first pick-up was a Luftwaffe Rucksack that I found in a barn in Viernheim, Germany at the age of eight...That barn-discovery marked the beginning of my Militaria collecting...

I also once found a brown M36 Mapcase with contents, a folding-spade w/cover, and a WH-belt w/aluminum buckle in a wood-shed in Mannheim, Germany when I was 12/13...There's more to be found for sure...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-04-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Quote by paragon man View Post
    Several years ago there was an old bloke doing the rounds at arms fairs - trying to pass off dodgy items which he claimed were his war souvenirs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast