Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Planes of Fame Identification Thread

Article about: Hello everyone! The main reason I joined up with this forum, aside from sharing my passion for WW2 Army Air Force collecting and history, is that I need YOUR help. A few months ago, I began

Quote by planesoffame View Post
    That's going to be way too hard to keep track of each thread that's created and moved. The idea to keep all the items in one thread was to simplify the identification of the items so I could keep track.
    Not sure what "other forum admin" you are talking about.
    It is very simple to keep track. Any thread that you start will show up on your profile. All you need to do is to go to your profile page and on the left side of the page you will see "Find latest started threads". This will show you any threads that you start, doesn't matter what section even if it is moved by a Moderator.
    It will actually be less confusing because instead of a whole pile of items for you to scour through to find the one you want, they will be separate and you can return to them easier.
    Sorry, but this is the way this forum operates and if you don't want to follow the rules that everyone else does, and don't like the way we operate, you are welcome to "take this project to yet another forum".
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Dimas was who I spoked to.

?

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sorry, that is not the way this forum works. We have divided the forum up into different areas so that the members with an interest in those areas do not have to look through the whole forum to find threads on items they have an interest in.
    I guess you can't just say you found the pile of stuff in an Attic, old barn or boot sale like all the unidentified items everyone else comes up with in this section

How many mystery items are we talking about?

I am excited to see what you have.

Quote by lima View Post
    I guess you can't just say you found the pile of stuff in an Attic, old barn or boot sale like all the unidentified items everyone else comes up with in this section

How many mystery items are we talking about? I am excited to see what you have.
    Many many items. Mostly uniforms, but random odds and ends as well. We've found incredible items already that we've easily been able to identify (like just Friday we stumbled across a never used Army Air Force stamped 1944 date T-5 parachute pack with original chute stlil in it... and an AAF B-8 back parachute that looks like it could be used right now and hasn't been touched since 1951), which I would be sharing along with the ones that we can't identify.

Dimas was who I talked to about where to put this thread.

Sorry, but this is the way this forum operates and if you don't want to follow the rules that everyone else does, and don't like the way we operate, you are welcome to "take this project to yet another forum".
    You don't have to treat me like I'm trying to tear down the rules of this board or going rogue... I just was hoping to have a simple single thread to post finds... which is what this section of the forum ('barn finds') basically is since we're discovering things in attics at the museum, etc. Ironically I was pointed to this forum by members of the USMilitaria forum saying they would have no problem with what I was trying to do and highly recommended this place. This is the same reason I left the other USMilitaria Forum for having an attitude like this... I'm trying to do something special by sharing all this potential knowledge, research, etc of items that haven't been seen by the world, yet for some reason keep running into hostility. With the amount of items I was going to bring to the forum, it would be way too time consuming to make a new thread for each item and keep track of updates on all the threads having to check each one regardless if they all show up in a round-about way on my profile. I'm not trying to break any rules, in fact I'm trying to make the boards cleaner by not spamming with new topics all over the place and instead keeping one nice neat thread.

It is very simple to keep track. Any thread that you start will show up on your profile. All you need to do is to go to your profile page and on the left side of the page you will see "Find latest started threads". This will show you any threads that you start, doesn't matter what section even if it is moved by a Moderator.
    It will actually be less confusing because instead of a whole pile of items for you to scour through to find the one you want, they will be separate and you can return to them easier.
    Ralph.
    I've tried to reply to this post several times now, but each time the post either vanishes or doesn't seem to post... not sure why it won't post the reply.

MAP
    ?

I've can see all the posts.

I see the simplicity of your thought process but I think Ralph point is actually trying to get you the largest number of views and thus answers

I'm sure there is a way to figure out a balanced plan of action.

Good luck.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

CBH
    ?

I believe what rbminis ( Ralph ) is getting at is , if you have a question about an specific item an individual tread is the way to go . Some of these long threads are more simply just showing items , but not asking questions about them . It helps with members searches and makes this forum very navigable . I hope you'll continue here as it is the best military forum on the internet .
    Cheers

Quote by planesoffame View Post

You don't have to treat me like I'm trying to tear down the rules of this board or going rogue... I just was hoping to have a simple single thread to post finds... which is what this section of the forum ('barn finds') basically is since we're discovering things in attics at the museum, etc. Ironically I was pointed to this forum by members of the USMilitaria forum saying they would have no problem with what I was trying to do and highly recommended this place. This is the same reason I left the other USMilitaria Forum for having an attitude like this... I'm trying to do something special by sharing all this potential knowledge, research, etc of items that haven't been seen by the world, yet for some reason keep running into hostility. With the amount of items I was going to bring to the forum, it would be way too time consuming to make a new thread for each item and keep track of updates on all the threads having to check each one regardless if they all show up in a round-about way on my profile. I'm not trying to break any rules, in fact I'm trying to make the boards cleaner by not spamming with new topics all over the place and instead keeping one nice neat thread.
    I am sorry but I fail to see how you could perceive anything I have said as being hostile. Everything I stated earlier was only to help you.

What you don't understand is that the way the forum is set up, as Michael has stated, is that would be the best way for you to get the most, and accurate information on the items that you wish to post.
    I am simply trying to explain to you how simple and more organized your retrieval of the information would be. When you log on and click the "What's New" tab at the top, you will get a list of threads with new posts. Any thread that you have posted on/started would show up on that list with a green dot. It is such a simple way to check on any new information that has been posted on your threads.
    Also, posting a whole lot of different items in one thread is not a nice neat thread.

What I see, is someone who doesn't want to take the time or it is too much bother to post your items in the manner that we would like, to keep order on this forum, but you would like the members to take their time to tell you what you want to know.

Maybe the hostility you felt on "those other" forums was caused by the fact that you did not want to follow their guidelines, and your attitude there?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2